New install query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all

Is it normal to have a number of double glazing panes crack during the install process ( different windows) and need replacing.

Thank's
Jono

Sponsored Links
Coloured/foiled windows?
Sometimes the beads can be a bit tight.

I expect every fitter has had the odd bugger of a job where it happens. I have certainly had a couple

Thanks Gazman

They are just normal replacement windows. It must dent the profit margin a bit.

Do installers mind if we ask for trims with small scratches or dents to be replaced. Some of the dented trim is the trim holding the glass panels in place (the trim between the frame and glass).

Thanks
Jono

In theory they will get the replacement glass free of charge from the supplier but the will have to pay the fitters to come back and change them of course.
If there are dents and scratches in the glazing beads then yet bring it up now so they can have new beads ready when they come back to do the glass. I cant say they wont mind but if it needs doing they would probably prefere to do it all in one trip.

Sponsored Links
Hi again

I have a few more queries about the install ( 5 windows 5 days and counting)
Pics attached
Bay Picture
is it normal to use a flat up / down trim to cover the 45 degree join where the two windows meet (from top to bottom of window)
is the join between the two horizontal trims OK.

gap 1/2 pictures
I can see daylight through the gap, why is there a gap (looking closely the gap behind the trim is around 3cm wide, I can see a screw leaving the window frame, traveling through air and then into the frame on the other side.) gap 2 is the outside view.

top picture
Is this join in the trim OK, most of the trim joins are like this.

Also most trims have scuffs and dents in them, the scuffs will not clean off when wiped. is this normal, does the installer have a special way to clean them up when he finishes.
Would an install like this normally be a one man job

Thanks
Jono

Attachments

• bay.jpg
    bay.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 118
  • gap.jpg
    gap.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 131
  • gap2.jpg
    gap2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 130
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 161
Local company or big national? and did you go with the cheapest quote?

The angles and cuts on the trims are pish poor finishing.
They obviously haven't used expanding foam to fill voids around the frames. No regulations to do that but is good practice in my opinion.
The inside of the baypoles would have been a much nicer finish with an adjustable angle trims.

It dosent matter how many guys there are as long as they do a good job but I wouldn't be happy with that.
Some small scuffs can be polished out with solvent or cream cleaner and some minor dents can be fixed with a hair drier or heat gun.

I would say let him finish but point out your concerns and be prepared to hold back some money until things are done to satisfaction.

Thanks Gazman

It is a local company. They replaced a window for mother in law a few years ago.

We may not have noticed all the issues had we not been left with the half finished install since Wednesday.

Thanks
Jono

No once they have cleaned and sealed everything it will most likely cover everything.
Unfortunately its all pretty standard for most windows company's. Its defiantly not great quality workmanship

One (hopefully) last thing. Why is there a gap, it seems a bit silly to go on about the glass being this thick and filled with this gas etc when around the windows is a gap ( even if it is filled with foam)

The label that says "glaze label to the outside" says argon and from a big glass supplier so should be ok.
Obviously the label that says this is on the inside of the house.

The glaze to the outside just indicates which surface has the low e coating, doesn't necessarily mean it's an argon unit just because the sticker says either, in any case the argon soon leaks out anyway

Next query
The bay window has 3 wooden sills with 45 degree joints (can be seen in the bay picture posted earlier), the sills are now loose
Is it an easy job to reset them.

Hi all

Two of the windows have upward bows in the middle bottom frame. Can anyone see from the pictures below what is going on from these pics of one of the windows.

Jono

1497554508982-1459173948.jpg 1497554681776-156655585.jpg 1497555099944-599304858.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back