New Install: Vaillant Controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to finalise a spec for my replacement DHW/CH system. I want to get in a few quotes but would like to have a fairly firm idea of what I want so that the plumbers are all 'singing from the same song sheet'.

I want unvented cylinder, a system boiler, the ability to add solar on at a later stage, and finally weather compensation to maximise efficiency.

With all this in mind I am looking at the Vaillant EcoTEC 630 (quieter than a WB Greenstar and better controls) and an Ariston Primo Twin ITSI210 (25year guarantee, good insulation, large coils and cheaper than Megaflow) with a Vaillant thermistor. On the control side I was wanting to use something like the Vaillant auroMATIC 560 to control my DHW when I go to solar at a later date. But will this be compatible with the VRC 400 (plus a VR65)? Am I wasting money on the VRC400 as I will only be using the CH channel?

Are there another solution to consider within the same price bracket?

Sponsored Links
Strange post :rolleyes:

You have obviously done your research and this is what confuses me.

In your situation I wouldfit the Vaillant Aurostor solar cylinder, the 560 as you say and the VR400 or 430.

Connect all this to the VR65 and fit a VR10 to the aurostor and you will have one of the most up to date mainstream systems available today.

When using the VR65 the weather comp will work very well for the ch and when demand for the DHW is required the VR65 will over ride the weather comp and will set the flow temp higher to re-heat the unistor quicker and more efficiently.

As far as I know (and I'm not an expert), the weather comp is linked only to the boiler with regard to the space heating - it just blends/mixes/lowers the radiator flow temp if the outside temp sensor says it's sunny. The VRC400 is (from memory) about £70, so for something that may save gas and also doubles up as a flashy-looking roomstat (if mounted remotely from the boiler) it's probably worth having.
It should be compatible with a twin coil cylinder - presumably when calling for cylinder heat the boiler runs flat out with no thermal mixing?
As far as other solutions, as far as I know W-Bosch don't do weather comp but I stand to be corrected, Vaillant seem highly regarded from a quality (st/st heat exchanger etc) point of view - it's what my plumber has recommended anyway, and having read up on it, it's what we've bought (not fitted yet!).
The boiler *may* need a VR65 wiring centre to combine with all the other Vaillant gear - if I was looking at a one-make solution, Vaillant would be top of my list.

(edited ten minutes later to add - I don't type fast enough!)

In your situation I wouldfit the Vaillant Aurostor solar cylinder, the 560 as you say and the VR400 or 430.

Connect all this to the VR65 and fit a VR10 to the aurostor and you will have one of the most up to date mainstream systems available today.

When using the VR65 the weather comp will work very well for the ch and when demand for the DHW is required the VR65 will over ride the weather comp and will set the flow temp higher to re-heat the unistor quicker and more efficiently.

Are there any significant advantages on the Aurostor over the Ariston Primo? Its just the Ariston beats Vaillant on price yet similar spec?

Sponsored Links
I know it sounds stupid, but when it comes to anything Ariston, I would personally always pay extra for the Vaillant.

Do Ariston offer a 25 year warranty? Are they still producing the glass lined cylinders?

Go for the Vaillant and keep all the controls in harmony with each other.

Ariston still make glass lined cylinders and in some applications they are suitable.

Their stainless steel Primo units are covered for 25yrs and MTS (Ariston)are the biggest producer of unvented in europe.

If you want a Vaillant managed solution the AuraSTOR or uniSTOR is the best partner, it has the dry pocket for the NTC sensor and WRAS approval for no wired cylinder stat.

If you use an Ariston Primo with VR65 and Weather Comp invoked, you have to use the NTC stat AND wire in the cylinder stat.....if that makes sense - to meet G3 regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back