New lawnmower blade boss broken TWICE

My blade boss pins sheared after about a year of usage (Mountfield SP53 Elite). I drilled 8.5mm holes where the pins had sheared and used 5/16 inch bolts - all three bolts tighened as much as possible. Tried it for 10 mins and seems ok but realise will have to be very careful to avoid hard obstacles.

Sponsored Links
The seller wants to collect it for inspection and possible repair, which is fine apart from the fact that I know it's going to keep happening and they won't continuously do that will they, I said that I would like a refund as I'll need to look for a different mower but they said I would probably end up with another mower with a similar blade boss as that's how they are made now, obviously manufacturers milking the consumables after sales market.
Someone mentioned fitting steel bolts instead of the weak lugs but I'm not sure I'm up for adapting brand new machines just so they actually work!

Not sure what to do now.
You should give them the opportunely to inspect and repair so you keep your guarantee with the seller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back