New Leaseholder company trying to pass £20k charge to residents - UPDATE

Sponsored Links
What was wrong with following the suggestions you were given?

I'm sorry about your predicament, but it is no different than selling a detached proprty where the buyers find 15 or 20 grands worth of faults.

Had you completed the sale a few weeks ago and the buyers had received this bill, they would not be happy and would be after you and/or your solicitors.

Good luck.

Solicitors.

Yea I'm waiting for them to call me back

What was wrong with following the suggestions you were given?

Nothing, it was more a figure of speech, as well as a genuine statement that I'm possibly about to lose my new house and don't see any quick resolution to this.

The issue isn't necessarily the cost, or the lack of quotes, invoices, the lack of information... it's the fact that it's time-critical. Had I just been living here happily, and then suddenly this happened, I'd not have a major rush or stress about it, I'd appeal, go to meetings, fight it, etc....

I will be exploring other suggestions after speaking to solicitor and having a bit of thinking time.

I'm sorry about your predicament, but it is no different than selling a detached proprty where the buyers find 15 or 20 grands worth of faults.

Had you completed the sale a few weeks ago and the buyers had received this bill, they would not be happy and would be after you and/or your solicitors.

Good luck.

I see your point.. in a way. However:

This is a pretty basic 2 bedroom flat
I also had no idea this was even a possibility. I have never had any similar charges or requests to pay for things in this manner before from the housing association
The sheer cost of this is stupidly high
The timing could not be worse

Sponsored Links
Not read the whole thread but can’t you just knock 15k off the asking price for the buyer to keep them happy and then still go buy your new house and just accept that loss?

Not read the whole thread but can’t you just knock 15k off the asking price for the buyer to keep them happy and then still go buy your new house and just accept that loss?

Good suggestion but unfortunately not. The numbers are quite tight as we are at the top of our budget. My partner is adding her savings into the sale of my house, and we are buying together. Moving from this 2 bed flat/masionette into a 4 bed detached with garage and garden... quite a big upgrade! Was in preperation to possibly have kids in 2-3 years time.

I would happily sell with an agreement that the cost would be our responsibility. However I'm still not sure how I would get this extra £15k or the £300 a month if that's accurate.

You can always pass some of that onto the house you are buying as well, they won't want their sale to fall through either.

ie - Reduce the price of the flat you are selling by £10,000 (new buyer has to find £10,000 but will benefit from £400,000 worth of improvements to the block of flats he was buying into). Reduce the offer of the price you are buying by £5,000. That means the sellers of that house lose £5,000 for nothing but if it keeps the chain alive, means their sale to you doesn't fall through and they are able to still move onto their next property without that falling through, they could well swallow it. Then that just leaves you £5,000 out of pocket. Which is a lot better than having a £20,000 repayment plan over the next 5 years.

You can always pass some of that onto the house you are buying as well, they won't want their sale to fall through either.

ie - Reduce the price of the flat you are selling by £10,000 (new buyer has to find £10,000 but will benefit from £400,000 worth of improvements to the block of flats he was buying into). Reduce the offer of the price you are buying by £5,000. That means the sellers of that house lose £5,000 for nothing but if it keeps the chain alive, means their sale to you doesn't fall through and they are able to still move onto their next property without that falling through, they could well swallow it. Then that just leaves you £5,000 out of pocket. Which is a lot better than having a £20,000 repayment plan over the next 5 years.

Yea that's a decent idea.

I'm sure my solicitor who has been doing this for 20+ years has seen it all before. So I'm hoping she has some inventive solutions and may have a good way of dealing with this kind of thing.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Yea that's a decent idea.

I'm sure my solicitor who has been doing this for 20+ years has seen it all before. So I'm hoping she has some inventive solutions and may have a good way of dealing with this kind of thing.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Good luck, be creative and stay positive. Once everyone is this far into the process, nobody wants a chain to collapse.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Though in my suggestion, it would a problem quartered for you...

I don't mean to put you off, but house prices are declining in your area and will continue to do so until mid-next year probably. At this stage it isn't clear if your buyer is aware of this or if you even have any duty to report it. Until they come knocking or your solicitor advises of an obligation to report, then you continue as planned. if they revise their offer then pass on some of the cost.

If you have been formally consulted then you have a right to respond and a right to comment on the proposed works, in many situations you even have the right to get an independent survey done of the proposed costs and to dispute the costs.

Seek the advice of a professional solicitor rather than asking for advice on a General Forum.
I don't mean that in a derogatory way, and was not having a go at you, but all the residents should form a group and fight this with the right legal professionals.

What would be the outcome if you all refused to pay these charges?

Seek the advice of a professional solicitor rather than asking for advice on a General Forum.
I don't mean that in a derogatory way, and was not having a go at you, but all the residents should form a group and fight this with the right legal professionals.

What would be the outcome if you all refused to pay these charges?

Absolutely will. Was just posting to vent and also for opinions. Usually helpful - which this has been - as others have stories, links, also nice to know that others are also shocked my the charges.

Waiting for my solicitor to call.

If this does all go wrong I will contact my neighbour who has been sending letters and we will form a residents group. Out of 20-30 houses there must be at least 10 owners.

My Dad said this is their starting position. No sane minded person would agree to this extortionate fee. Especially in my small flat in a poor area of town. So he thinks it's just a case of them reaching an acceptable figure

One thing I thought was I could sell and move with the agreement that I remain liable for the costs. That is risky I know but it gets the sale down and that would
Be far far cheaper and better in the long run

20k is a lot of money but is it worth losing your dream house over?.

Sounds like you being liable for the 20k then fighting with the other residents to lower it may be the best way forward.

Is it worth talking to the solicitor that's doing your conveyancing for your new house?.

Good look, seems a like a real kick in the teeth though.

20k is a lot of money but is it worth losing your dream house over?.

Sounds like you being liable for the 20k then fighting with the other residents to lower it may be the best way forward.

Is it worth talking to the solicitor that's doing your conveyancing for your new house?.

Good look, seems a like a real kick in the teeth though.

Good post. I'm hoping there may be a way to sell as planned. But to agree that I will pay this bill when it's settled.

I don't believe it will be £20k. I live in a horrible looking maisonette in a rubbish street. I don't believe anyone here has that kind of money. So I think it's a starting point by the association.

So i could move and in 12 months after all the meetings actually end up with an £8k bill or whatever it is.

Good post. I'm hoping there may be a way to sell as planned. But to agree that I will pay this bill when it's settled.

I don't believe it will be £20k. I live in a horrible looking maisonette in a rubbish street. I don't believe anyone here has that kind of money. So I think it's a starting point by the association.

So i could move and in 12 months after all the meetings actually end up with an £8k bill or whatever it is.

I think thats the best way forward myself.

We got messed about when buying our first house (dropped through in the end), by the time we found our 2nd house they'd gone up £10k at least, nearer £20!.

Worste case take a loan out of Home Improvements, should be 3% or less apr on 20k and jiggle finances around to suit.

Can't beat owning your own house :).

Sponsored Links
Back