Question for the Landlords on here.

Sponsored Links
how long have your problems been going on ??
how many times over what period off time have they been reported??
what action has the landlord taken to remedy the situation ??

'Problems' started shortly after when we moved in. Gas fire was not working and about 6 weeks after moving in we had a gas safety check guy come out. His records showed no mention of a gas fire and after examining it he condemned it as dangerous. The boiler would regularly go out and was difficult to re-light. The shower pump burnt out within 6 weeks of moving in, I replaced this like for like and was given a discount for the pump cost off my rent. (No payment for my labour but hey ho!). Suffered numerous air locks in the shower system from day one. Pump lasted just over 13 months before failing again, (this time un-determined fault but needed renewing again and got money back for slightly more powerful pump, 2.0bar instead of 1.5bar) We have had an ex-military plumber come numerous times and he usually had to come back and rectify either the original fault or one he created as a result of his repair. I refuse to have him near the place.
I would certainly say we have had, on average, someone come out at least once every two/three months.
We have to notify the letting agent, they then contact the LL, (who is difficult to contact), agent then has to liase with workmen who eventually come and 'have a look' before reporting back to agent, who contacts LL for permission to continue etc etc etc.

ok fair enough you deserve to get out off it

he wont have a leg to stand on especially if he was fully aware off your circumstance and requirements when renting

You only have to cut out one tile with a multi-tool to reach the leaking joint, fix it, then put it back again. No big deal. I do it all the time.

Sponsored Links
You only have to cut out one tile with a multi-tool to reach the leaking joint, fix it, then put it back again. No big deal. I do it all the time.

Perhaps if you fixed it properly Joe then you wouldn't have to "do it all the time." Lol

Seriously though Joe, that seems a sensible idea. Problem at the moment is the plumber thinks it 'MAY' be the drain in the tray, and to get at that part he has to go through the lounge ceiling as it is the type of tray which should be fitted on the ground floor. It doesn't have 'legs' with a removable front panel.
I will suggest to him what you have said and see what he thinks. (Assuming he is allowed to come back and try again to fix it).

You can tighten that from above. Underneath should be solvent weld pipe.

If you saw the pipework in the loft you would doubt it would be done correctly out of sight.

The flow and return to most radiators are buried in the plaster and I assumed, incorrectly, that they went straight up to the ceiling. (Think 'safe zones of electric cables' type of thought). One night last winter when the heating was on I leaned against a wall above a radiator and felt warmth. Traced the heat with the back of my hand up to the ceiling and then back down to about 2' above the radiator. Then I discovered 2 heat paths going off from each other at about 45 degrees running in the direction of the radiator ends. I managed to trace them about 3" in from each end to where they exited the wall and connected to each side of the rad. Checked a few more rads downstairs and they are the same setup. Add to this if we turn off the rad in a small room we use as an office then the rad in the hall on the opposite side of the wall also goes off. I think they are connected in series with one another.

How on earth this house ever got past the building inspector when it was being built, (approximately 1990 we have been told), is beyond me.

I suspect trades do not always stick rigorously to the regs. My house was an incredible mess. I think their had been a bodgers convention at my house. The porch frame was built from what looked like scrap wood, the ceiling was bits of hardboard. I replaced the frame and ceiling. At the sides of windows plaster had cracked after double glazing was put in, and wall papered over. When I had my bathroom done, a light switch fell off the ceiling, it was screwed into plaster board. The wall socket came off, of two screws only one was fixed, the other screwed into a small bracket that was not attacked to the mounting box. I repaired both. Some trades are brilliant, some are worse than bad DIY.

Sponsored Links
Back