Landlord/letting/finders/management fee question/advice.

Yeah my Dad had carers 3x a day.

And we managed to find a gardener at £16/hr who did 2hrs every 2 weeks

But my father in law, who had Lewy body dementia needed to go into a home, that cost £1400 a week

Hoping to put off residential care as long as possible. If they do need it, they would have to pay. Both in residential care would work out around £150,000 p.a. :oops:

Seem to remember the Tories saying they would sort out the unfairness of social care costs. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Suddenly my 91 year old father's carers who visit him 3 times a day 7 days a week seem like a bargain for £800 p.m. Luckily my 88 year old Mum is still fairly independent, for now. She can look after herself and cook. Even keeps the garden tidy ish. Just have to mow the lawn and get her shopping.
She couldn’t look after herself and had taken to knocking up neighbours at 3.00 in the morning. We were told that to have permanent live-in carers it would be £1700 per week but I can't see how it could be that low unless you were paying someone less that the minimum living wage.

It's been some years since my father was in that need. Hospital doctors really scared me when they asked did I have Power of Attorney, when I said 'No' his response was 'good' but didn't explain why. But was in relevance to him going into a home; in the end the council picked the tab up.

Mother in Law and my Aunt both had PoA's in place, an awful lot better, it is well worth putting in place whilst people have their full faculties.

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but try to get a guarantor for the tenant so if they don't pay or trash the house thenyou have some comeback, we had to do this for my daughter when at uni in London, as it was I kept the property in better condition than when they moved in.
" Dad dont forget to bring tour tools when you come "
On the flip side - never ever be a guarantor. If you have to, it's better to sign the AST with the right to sublet as at least you have control over your risk.

Alternatively negotiate a limitation of liability for the guarantor - rent only.

Sponsored Links
It's been some years since my father was in that need. Hospital doctors really scared me when they asked did I have Power of Attorney, when I said 'No' his response was 'good' but didn't explain why. But was in relevance to him going into a home; in the end the council picked the tab up.
There’s two types of POA. 1. Health and 2. Finance. Mrs Mottie and her sister have both. I think the 'good' reference from the doctor was that they can make decisions on her behalf instead of putting you in the position of making a decision.

Back