Letting Agents fee's

The landlady lived next door, but used a letting agent.

Doesn't the LA in way or another have a duty to carry out a so-called check on the condition of the property before and after it has been let so any deposit being held could be challenged?

Well tonight I have secured a room in a house share, so it's all good :)

It’s not really LA's duty to carry, but depends on what LL and LA's agreement is. But a move in and out inventory is almost a must, if LL wants to retain deposit at the end of the tenancy. Otherwise the LL wouldn’t have a leg to stand on in court.

Sponsored Links
Approach the landlord direct, say you'd like the room but can't afford the LA fees. The LL might not be aware of what they are charging for 'admin'. I would have thought the admin charge should have been part of normal business costs, i.e from the 10% of rent obtained from LL, sounds like cake and eating it. Might also be worth pointing out to LL that if you were a lodger in sons house then £5000+ of rent for room is tax free, check this though might have changed recently.

Approach the landlord direct, say you'd like the room but can't afford the LA fees. The LL might not be aware of what they are charging for 'admin'. I would have thought the admin charge should have been part of normal business costs, i.e from the 10% of rent obtained from LL, sounds like cake and eating it. Might also be worth pointing out to LL that if you were a lodger in sons house then £5000+ of rent for room is tax free, check this though might have changed recently.
No, perfectly normal sounding fees, landlords are well aware of the charges LA’s levy.

My advice to anyone renting is to do your own photographic survey when you move in and each page of each copy needs to be signed & dated by each party. This is extremely good evidence should a dispute arise upon exiting the property. Tenants who have this evidence stand a very low risk of losing any deposit should the LA try it on, disputes have to go through an arduous process if a dispute arises and many LA’s are coming unstuck (rightly so) as tenants are getting wise to their rights. Landlords cannot simply refuse to pay back deposits nowadays. Works both ways of course though.

"I would obviously get the deposit back at the end of the tenancy"

Nnecessarily so. My son has rented several properties over the last 20 years. The agents or LL often find some spurious reason why the deposit or part of it should be forfeited. If it is refunded it is after a long delay and repeated requests for it.
said she'd just refund half the deposit.

is a joke IMO.
Indeed - and you wanna check out the £ made in seaside towns out of the old farts who dont know/ can`t be bothered to force the landlords to sell out to them ( some % of number of flats in block must apply etc. ) Landlords READ THIS and weep - When us baby boomers get another decade or two along the timeline - watch your greedy little arses WE don`t take shyte from scammers . 56 years old now and counting :mrgreen: .

Sponsored Links
No , never rented . Just don`t like private landlords and their entourages of 40 thieves. Money for old rope . Don`t like how easy it is to take £ from oldies @ the present . Next generation to be " old " will be us :LOL: Surely more streetwise than previous generation .

I only ever rented once, got back all my deposit.

Flat was in better condition than when I moved in, she'd paid to have it re-decorated while I was there.

Landlady was honest, there are some honest ones about.

Cheers

G

Rip off Britain.

In many countries renting is the preferred option. This is why in the UK people prefer to buy.

It's worse in Belgium, they go round looking for every little smudge and limescale deposit to knock money off the deposit, especially if you're an expat or diplomat, as they know the employer is picking up the tab in most cases.

Cheers

G

Sponsored Links
Back