New light fitting - 2 way switching problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone can help with a problem I have with 2 way switching.

I purchased a new light fitting for my landing which is operated by 2 switches (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs). Having removed the old fitting (and not noting the way it was wired) I was left with a problem!

I have 3 cables coming into the light:

Cable 1 = 1 red wire, 1 black, 1 earth
Cable 2 = As Cable 1
Cable 3 = 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 earth.

Normally when fitting a new light fitting I would connect the black wires (of cable 1 and 2) to the neutral terminal of the light, the switched live (of Cable 3) to the live terminal of the light, connect the earth to earth and connect all reds in a separate terminal block.

I tried this set up earlier today and managed to make a fairly large bang! So I am wondering whether anyone has any alternative thoughts on how it should be wired. For Cable 3 the red wire is permanently live, the yellow is live when switched and the blue appears to have no power.

I believe I went wrong by connecting both the blue and yellow of the switch wire.

Any thoughts are welcomed!

Sponsored Links
Unusual to have only one 3 core cable at the rose for 2-way switching...

Where had you connected the blue in cable 3 when it went bang?

Cheers for the quick replies

I had the blue and yellow of cable 3 into the live terminal of the new light fitting.

I assume this was what caused the problem!

I've not had a look behind the switches as yet. Just turned off the power and left it for another day, when I have a new fuse!

Sponsored Links
I had the blue and yellow of cable 3 into the live terminal of the new light fitting.

I assume this was what caused the problem!

Best to assume nothing, and I think TTC above has given the best advice at this stage.

Thanks both.

I've got a feeling that things could be complicated somewhat by the downstairs switch being a double switch.

I'm not living at the house at the moment, but will call in after work tomorrow and have a look at the switches and report back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back