new light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've replaced exisiting light fitting with new one, but new one doesnt work.
There are 2 lights controlled by 2 separate switches, the other light comes on with either switch.
This light has 2 cables - both twin core and 1 earth. Ive connected the 2 lives together (Red cables), the 2 earths together(Green and yellow), 1 neutral to the neutral terminal and the other Black cable to the Switched live, but light doesnt come on.
Incidentally the other light has only 1 twin core and earth going to the ceiling rose (Red, Black, Green/yellow), it has two cable in the switch itself.
Any suggestions
JC

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I've replaced exisiting light fitting with new one, but new one doesnt work.
There are 2 lights controlled by 2 separate switches, the other light comes on with either switch.
You are not very clear about how the lights used to work. You say there are two lights controlled by two separate switches - are they at different points in the room?
Did the one light that works from both switches always work that way?
Have you altered anything at the switches?
This light has 2 cables - both twin core and 1 earth. Ive connected the 2 lives together (Red cables), the 2 earths together(Green and yellow), 1 neutral to the neutral terminal and the other Black cable to the Switched live, but light doesnt come on.
how do you know which one of the black cables is switched live? Have you got them the wrong way around?

Did you take note of how the previous light was wired?

Photographs would help....

I tried both black cables as the switched live, but didnt work either way.
made no changes to switches, I guess didnt pay enough attention to how it was wired into the rose before.

I've now wired the fitting with both red into the live, both earth to the earth and both neutral to neutral terminal and all working fine. My assumption is the switch cable goes to a junction box, but slightly concerned that might not be the case.
Both lights in hallway, both switches in hallway, assume the second light is last in the line (Hence only one cable to it).

I've now wired the fitting with both red into the live, both earth to the earth and both neutral to neutral terminal and all working fine. My assumption is the switch cable goes to a junction box, but slightly concerned that might not be the case.
Okay - you didn't make it clear that this was not a normal ceiling rose type fitting. It sounds like your switch live is one of the red cables - the other one will loop to the single cable light. So your right, at some stage in the circuit the switch live has changed from black to red possibly at a JB or another ceiling rose - or you have two reds at the swtich itself.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies, tbh i think i understand it now based on your last comment, re. the other red going to the single cable light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back