Bathroom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to fit a new bathroom ceiling light fitting. It has a block with live, earth and neutral. (plus a spare block for 'loop circuit')
From the ceiling I have 3 cables - 2 x 2 core (black & red) + earth and 1 x 3 core (red, blue and yellow) + earth.
All earths have been taped in green and yellow (together)
The switch has only a red, black and earth connected. This same switch also turns the extractor fan on.
Any ideas? what should go where?! Help.

Sponsored Links
two reds go to loop. one black is neutral on black is switched live (make sure u id this as live ie red tape).

switch red to COM, black to L1 ( again id this as live)

fan cable, red to loop, yellow to switched live ( id as live), blue to neutral, make sure these are the same in the fan and that you usa a fan isolator.

THIS IS THE CASE 99% OF THE TIME.

maybe u have a mirror light or something coming on with the existing light idk

pictures would help

Sorry only got half the messageto start with!
thanks I will give that a whirl.

Sponsored Links
fan cable, red to loop, yellow to switched live ( id as live), blue to neutral( id as neutral black ), make sure these are the same in the fan and that you usa a fan isolator.

Did you note down the positions of the cables in the ceiling rose before you took it down.

Most lighting circuits have two loop cables providing the line, neutral and earth i.e. Twin & Earth. Together with a T&E switch cable.

If you only have two 2 core cables then it is possibly the last in the line.

Firstly ignore the 3 core for now - it is the link to your fan.

Find out which is your loop cable (line, neutral and earth) the other one will be your switch cable.
Take the loop cable neutral (black) and put it in the N terminal.

Connect the two lines (reds) from the loop and switch cables together and put them in the loop circuit terminal.
Put the switch neutral (black) cable in the L - This should have a red sleeve on as it is your switch live.
Put all the earths together.

Now you need to check how the fan is wired. The fan will have three terminals live (switch live), permanent live and neutral - there may be a earth block there as well. You need to determine which colour matches which terminal.

Once you have done this then go back to the new light terminal block and add the 3 core live/switch live to the L. The permanent live to the loop and the neutral to the N block.

Must learn to type faster :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back