Lighting circuit question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents are moving house shortly and when I went to fit a new light fitting I found the following in the ceiling rose:

2 Black wires connected to Neutral of the lampholder.
1 YELLOW(?) wire connected to the live of the lampholder.
1 Green/Yellow earth cable.

The light switch has 2 reds (common) and 1 Yellow switch wire.

Is it ok to use a yellow cable as a switch wire?? also the house has apparently been rewired in the last 6 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are the lights ELV? 12v? If not, it is not permissible to use a yellow core as a phase conductor, unless it is appropriately sleeved brown.

If the house was rewired recently then you should be finding cables with the the new cable colours (brown and blue).

Just a stab in the dark here, but is the light fitting in the bathroom?

The yellow might be a switched live from an old colours 3 core and earth cable?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick responses.

The existing fitting is a normal 240v pendant fitting, in the kitchen. But I have also opened a couple of other roses in other rooms (not the bathroom though) and found the same yellow switch wire. I can't ever remember seeing a yellow wire in a domestic system before.

The lighting cables appear to be singles (i.e not T&E or 3 core) housed in metal conduit.

Like I say the house has 'apparently' been rewired in the last couple of months and I would have expected to find Brown/Blue all aver the place but the sockets are still Red/Black (with the exception of the kitchen).

It looks to me that the council have just rewired the kitchen and fitted new sockets, switches and roses everywhere else.

I will need to have a look to see if there is a dual system warning sticker on the consumer unit though as I don't remember seeing one yesterday.

Once again thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back