New light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20200605_110619.jpg
Hi am looking for some advice I have a switch for one outside light which for some strange reason was mounted outside by the light so I have moved the switch indoors iv not done anything to the wireing as there was enough to just bring switch to the inside of the door. So what I want to do is replace the weatherproof outside switch with an internal one I'm not sure which switch to buy and was wondering if anyone could advise

Sponsored Links
Show us the other side as well please, and the front cover.

If it is an ordinary DP switch (not light sensitive or timed) it will be easy. Being DP the outside circuit can be safely isolated.

Is it supplied from a lighting circuit or a socket circuit?
(See what fuse or breaker disconnects it)

But, would you like light sensitive or timed? (It would help if it was next to a window)

Is that how the switch was wired when it was outside, ?

Were the two blacks joined together in terminal 1 ?

They should be in a separate terminal block ( NOT connected to the switch )

One cable brings Live ( red ) and Neutral ( black ) to the switch, the other cable takes Switched Live and Neutral to the lamp.

It looks like you were lucky, if the red bringing the Live to the switch had been in terminal L then the switch would have put a dead short from Live To Neutral and popped the fuse or MCB in the consumer unit.

Almost any Single pole switch will do the job. but you will also need a piece of terminal bloc to join the two Neutrals

Screwfix stock number 11822

MK LOGIC PLUS 10AX 1-GANG 2-WAY LIGHT SWITCH WHITE (11822)

and one terminal from a strip like this to join the Neutrals

ae235

If it is an ordinary DP switch (not light sensitive or timed) it will be easy. Being DP the outside circuit can be safely isolated.

John is right. a double pole switch would enable the outside light to be fully isolated should it be damaged.

Sponsored Links
Hi I think this is how it was wired when it was outside I didnt take it off it's now gonna be inside the house so I need a new box and face plate to operate the outside light from inside. I do know that turning off the supply to the down stairs light ring killed the power to it so wasnt on it's own ring I was thinking that just changing the switch to an inside o e would be straightforward enough I just wasnt sure about which switch and box to buy I'm gonna in bed the box in to the wall .also I have cut out a groove in the plaster and brick to lay the wire in does the wire need to be in any kind of trunking before i plaster over it? Thanks again for the feedback

Hi I think this is how it was wired when it was outside I didnt take it off it's now gonna be inside the house so I need a new box and face plate to operate the outside light from inside. I do know that turning off the supply to the down stairs light ring killed the power to it so wasnt on it's own ring
Normally only sockets in the UK are wired with ring circuits.
Ring is not another word for circuit.

I was thinking that just changing the switch to an inside o e would be straightforward enough
It is but your switch is wired rather strangely.
Please answer the questions that have been asked.

I just wasnt sure about which switch and box to buy
Virtually any switch will do so just a normal light switch but - a double pole switch would be better for an outside light.

I'm gonna in bed the box in to the wall .also I have cut out a groove in the plaster and brick to lay the wire in does the wire need to be in any kind of trunking before i plaster over it? Thanks again for the feedback
No, you can just bury the cable.

Hi really appreciate the advice what questions did I not answer sorry I missed them

Is it supplied from a lighting circuit or a socket circuit?
(See what fuse or breaker disconnects it)

I realise you said you think that is how it was wired.
Does that mean you have disconnected and reconnected it?

They should be in a separate terminal block ( NOT connected to the switch )
Switches can be wired like that so that there a short circuit across the load in the off position. It is a good way to prevent LEDs flickering when off due to induction.

Live in to L2, load to Com and neutral to L1.

Last edited:
Switches can be wired like that so that there a short circuit across the load in the off position

That is only safe if the switch is ensured break before make.

The switch off arc between a fixed contact and the moving contact has to break before the moving contact reaches the other fixed contact.

So we had a new front door fitted and the wire to this switch was behind the old door frame so when the guy was doing the door I asked him if he could take it off the wall and bring it inside the house which he did it was very brittle and didnt come away easily and this is how i got it i assume this is how it was wired ( if any wires came out and he put them back in wrong i am unaware of this) . Turning of the rcd that controls the downstairs lights turns of this light to so again I assume it just comes off of that. The outside light itself is just an on off with the switch no sensor I'm happy to keep it that way it worked fine before and the light is on now I need to find the broken off switch and turn it off if this is not the way this should be wired which way should it be wired ? I'm hoping to change the switch this weekend can I get all the things I need for this from screwfix or toolstation? Thanks again

Please do that.

Because your photograph shows some terminals but no apparent switching mechanism.

DP switches are mostly bigger than light switches.

Screwfix stock no. 8600J or 85073 would do. It needs a 25mm deep backbox.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back