Light wiring query

Sponsored Links
Are you unsure about the purpose/usage of any of the conductors?
Totally, as this point in time we have absolutely no idea what one of the wires is used for.

Just in case your post is not flippant, they are the wrong colours for new build/new works and without brown or red sleeves this will fail any inspection.
Assuming of course these are all live wires and not neutrals/switched neutrals like I found in one house.

Totally, as this point in time we have absolutely no idea what one of the wires is used for.
I have.

Just in case your post is not flippant, they are the wrong colours for new build/new works
Why?

and without brown or red sleeves this will fail any inspection.
By a jobsworth? Are the conductors not "identified"?

Assuming of course these are all live wires and not neutrals/switched neutrals like I found in one house.
There are two blue wires; do you think they are neutrals?

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing its not new build. Those lamps are ancient, and there's an old hole drilled in the mortar in the first picture.
Although the cleating is neat enough. Probably done by a jobbing handyperson.

It's also a disgusting way to supply the lights.
I think that's a tad OTT.

I have seem countless 1000's of installations like that and only seen a handful of cases where the PVC is affected by exposure to the elements.
In some of these cases (installed in the 60's), the sheath had become slightly pitted and the clips were friable.

In the couple of cases I had need to IR these cables, the results were very high.

It is possible that, as this is a newly moved-into house, the connections are faulty at the fitting/s (if a three core goes outside, there could be live feed and a switchwire along with the neutral).

There is another possibility I have just thought of.
Unlikely, but possible.

If the middle yellow was the live feed and the middle red with the link was the hall switch wire, when both middle and right hand switches are closed, the outside lights would come on with the hall light.

I think that's a tad OTT.

I have seem countless 1000's of installations like that and only seen a handful of cases where the PVC is affected by exposure to the elements.
Exposure damage is irrelevant.

It could be the best cable ever, and last a million years in the harshest environments, but that would still be a disgusting way to install it. It should not be visible.

EFLI:

Ah...ah...ah, but...but......

If he operated it and the hall light was off, it wouldn't.

No, he says right hand switch turns on/off downstairs and outside lights - and centre switch makes no difference, which is why I suggested centre switch is stuck on regardless of rocker position.

Either that - or that is how downstairs and outside lights are supposed to be.

I still want to see the hall light wiring, with that switch configuration I would expect to find the blue wire from the non working switch at the ceiling light not connected to anything, and the live to the outside light connected in with the yellow feeding hall light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back