Wiring outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved to a new house (built 1979).

Someone in the past has installed an outside light using 3 core and earth, and running the wires through the outside brick joins to the hall ceiling light. Then another piece of 3 core and earth is connected from the ceiling rose in the hall to the switch.

The switch is a two gang switch, one for the hall the other for the outside light. The live feed for the switch comes from the hall light switch live feed.

Basically I am not happy in the way it is wired as I don't think it is right and wish to run proper 1.5mm T&E cable to the light and switch. However I am unsure the best way to run the cable.

Is it best to drill a hole right through the wall where the outside light will go and then chase up the inside of the wall to the ceiling to connect to the hall light as a feed. The cable from the swich could then be run the same path to the outside light. Or is there a better way to run it without chasing the inside wall out.

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Adam

Sponsored Links
They have used 3 core and earth (red, blue and yellow + E) and only used 2 wires and taped the others up.
Plus they have taken the live for the hall light switch to the outside light switch next to it and then taken a wire to one of those "choc" block connectors above the ceiling to connect to the outside light wire.

It all looks a bit messy and not what I would call a proper job.
I want to re do it with twin and earth and with the switch live going to the light. with the proper feed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back