3 Gand 2-way Light Switch Problem

Sponsored Links
Bert, don't take offence dear! I don't really think that you're colour-blind - not that it would be any shame if you were......

I simply doubt that colour combination R-B-G - and it isn't a combination used by other countries either.......

The nearest equivalent would be the old British 3-core cable from the early 60's which had Red, White and Blue cores. Perhaps you have this elderly cable and you've mistaken the dirty white core for grey?

However, the colours are not that important, because you have enough cores at the switch position to modify the connections - both in the switch and the attic above.

If you want to tackle this reconnection, I'd be pleased to advise you further.

Lucia.

Seen your photo.

For the sake of argument, that wire should be considered white.
It looks like 50s/early 60s 3 core cable that was done in red, white and blue.

Those switches use Common and L2 for one way operation, so you needn't concern yourself with that.

Next you could show pictures of the wiring in light fittings/junction boxes relevent to both halls and the outside light.

Sponsored Links
Hi all. When I got up there and stripped away the loft boards and the insulation I was able to trace the outside light cable back to the junction box where it was connected to the outer hall light cable. When I disconnected it from there and released it from all its clips I discovered that it was just long enough - just inches to spare - to reach another junction box to which cables supplying power to two other outside lights at the side and rear of the bungalow, served by switches in the kitchen, were connected. So I connected it to that, earths and all and, hey presto, one switch in the kitchen now switches on my front and side outside lights, and my outer hall light works independently, which is all just fine. It was the insights you all gave me about how it was all likely to be wired that enabled me to solve the problem, and I'm extremely grateful. I now just need a bit of emergency medical treatment to fix my aching back and scraped knees and elbows. I knew in my heart that being able to fix it by tweeking a few wires at the switch without even going up the loft ladder was probably a pipe dream.

I now just need a bit of emergency medical treatment to fix my aching back and scraped knees and elbows.
51501nurse-bettie-posters.jpg

Wow Ban-all-Sheds. This site justgets better and better. Which clinic do I go to to consult her?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back