New lime render on a 200yr old house - suitable paint? HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Relatives have a 200+ year old house which was originally lime rendered. Slate DPC, thick solid walls etc. Old houses need to breathe with the weather and damp, moisture passing freely through the walls from what we've learnt.

In the 70's the walls were repaired with modern materials - sand and cement render, covered with masonry paint, which has all caused timber problems and horrific damp.
House is now being restored, all the sand and cement and gypsum plaster has gone, and we are re-rendering and re-plastering with lime, as it was originally built. The house smells better, is visibly drier, and the brickwork, where still on show, is no longer dripping wet.

Paint.

Dulux state their masonry paint (Weathershield smooth) is fine on lime render as allegedly it is a breatheable paint.
Everybody else says acrylic paint is a definite no-no. Other options are St Astier lime paint, or a Beeck paint system, both specifically for lime rendered walls that breathe.
Speaking to suppliers of lime paints, they say we MUST use a lime paint, which is massively less resistant to the passage of moisture than acrylic resin paints.

Dulux say the opposite.

Impartial expert advice seems hard to find - everyone promotes their paint system.
Builder is relying on the woman on the Dulux tech helpline being correct and the fact that Dulux has a 15 year guarantee to fall back on.
Johnstone's 100% advise against acrylic over lime render.

Expert opinions would be much appreciated! Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Very useful link that, thanks.
The more I read, the more I understand, and the more I realise Dulux tech support hasn't a bloody clue, and that weathershield could be the kiss of death for the new render. :rolleyes:
St Astier looks like the only way forward.

Definitely agree with the above. Lime wash for lime render(s).

Lime wash for just about any traditional render, in fact.

Modern synthetic coatings & renders etc are something else.

Lime wash has been used effectively for hundreds of years, and the old plasterers were certainly not fools.

Sponsored Links
If you haven't already made a decision do please think about the Beeck Silicate System. I used it On my lime rendered place and have to say its fantastic. Beautiful and very subtle colours too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back