New Main 30 HE Boiler Quote - is it Legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been quoted to have a boiler replaced (by Gas Registered Engineer, who came as a recommendation), and the cheapest quote was for a Main 30 HE (which I'm told it a rebranded baxi, and a decent(???) budget boiler).

Doing a quick search though, and I've seen things mentioning it being a "SEDBUK Band B" boiler, and these boilers now being illegal to fit in the UK.

In fact, thinking about it, another quote I got (different installer) was for a Worcester 28CDi too - which again seems to be SEDBUK!!! [Edit, it was a 27CDi]

What's going on?!?

Is this illegal (in which case I assume I should avoid the installer completely)?

If it is illegal, how can they still sell them (and with warranty)?

Can someone with more knowledge on the subject (i.e. in the trade) shed some light on this, or comment further?

Sponsored Links
Worcester Bosch dont do band B boilers,
Not sure about the Main combi, the point is if your after a cheap quote then you get a cheap boiler.
If your going to live in the house for a long time then put in a good boiler, the trouble is everyone on here will give you a different make.
My boilers of choice is the Intergas, then Viessmann. :)

Thanks for the response.

I'm not really trying to get into a "which boiler" discussion.

I'm more concerned about the legalities, and whether they should be of concern?

What would be the repercussions of just going ahead?

The house is let out. I'm not sure how long I'll have it for before selling.

I suspect you have been quoted for a Main Eco 30

Main Eco 30 band A

Main 30 HE band B

Sponsored Links
If you're looking to sell soon then they are of major concern, fit a Band B at your peril, you may well find you are required to change it before you sell the house as you'll need a certificate to say it complies with Building Regulations, which it won't.

It's not illegal to sell Band B boilers, you just can't fit them. Get some quotes for Band A boilers. Worcester-Bosch don't currently make any Band B boilers, they're all Band A, they also no longer make the 28CDi so it looks like you've had a quote for something from old stock there.

Ditto advice on the Main boilers - the Combi ## HE is Band B, the Combi ## Eco is Band A, so just check which one you've been quoted on. Looking at Internet prices there's only about £20 between them, so go for the Eco, you'll be sure you're not going to have any compliance issues then

I'm a Worcester engineer so I can tell you what we offer but not sure about any other makes. It's the same as anything. You get what you pay for. Worcester will prob be the most expensive but our warranty is no quibble! Most are offering a 5 year warranty now but get a worcester fitted by an accredited installer and you will get 7 years. As said above if your looking to sell just fit a cheap one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back