New Mains Water Pipe Into Old House with Shallow Footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Long time lurker, first time poster, had some great advice off this forum over the years. But this time I’ve got a bit of a niche problem.

I’m having an extension built on the back of a Victorian terrace and we currently share the mains water pipe between me and next door. Next doors is tee’s off further back and goes round the back of the houses. But mine comes in the side.
I’m going to replace the lead pipe for a plastic one and take it round the back of the house,but I can’t find an answer to whether I should duct the pipe or not. The existing lead pipe is 300mm deep (it is 9lb though at least) but my brick footings are only about the same.

Given my new water pipe is going to be 750mm deep, do I need to duct under the existing foundation into the house? It’s solid clay and my floor is Yorkshire Stone directly laid onto the clay. There’s been an attempt to put a DPM in but it’s rubbish. I’ll be tearing the whole floor up and insulating it, but putting the water pipe in before I do. I’ll be ducting it through the new floor but was just going to dig a hole and put an elbow on the mains pipe…

A18EA525-4482-4C9D-A4AF-1480854FBE0C.jpeg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back