New Mains Water Service - Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm a bit confused about the regulations for the above. I was under the impression I could lay the water service myself, within my boundary, provided the work was inspected and signed off by buildings inspector. Taking the pipe up to my boundary, I can then appoint an approved self-lay contractor to take the pipe up to the mains; and the water company to then connect to the mains. Do I understand it correctly? Water company website seems to imply I need to use self lay company for the entire run... thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can lay it yourself, and get a water inspector from the supplier to check it off. 750mm minimum depth, laid on soft sand, ducted inside and capped at both ends to prevent rodent ingress, nothing wrong with you doing the work up to boundary.

Cheers Chris - I thought as much - ST website muddied the water a bit. I'd have deleted the other thread but can't see how to do that.

Pressure is my next concern - property is 700 mtr from main; but at least it does sit about 4 mtrs below main. ST won't allow large diameter connection so it's 32mm all the way.

Sponsored Links
As above, follow the good advice there from Chris. Lay new service yourself to the boundary, (leave a decent loop sticking up). Water Co will come and inspect, if they're happy, they'll connect to their main.
Cheers Hugh.

Pressure is my next concern - property is 700 mtr from main; but at least it does sit about 4 mtrs below main. ST won't allow large diameter connection so it's 32mm all the way.

700 metres are you sure? Don’t worry about other post.

Fingers crossed 32mm is fine then, and if it isn't you can always fit an accumulator inside the property.

Check before you start work whether your supplier is happy with standard MDPE or wants barrier pipe. It would be a shame to spend the thick end of £1k on 700m of 32mm standard pipe only to be told you have to rip it out and put barrier in, but equally you don't want to be spending over £5k putting barrier in if you don't need to!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If you have to back fill before the inspector can visit then take lots of photos of the pipe on the sand with depth indications and then with sand on top of the pipe. Also lay a warning tape about 600 mm above the pipe. Pictures of the trench route across the field will help in finding the pipe if there is ever a problem in years to come.

If you have to back fill before the inspector can visit then take lots of photos of the pipe on the sand with depth indications and then with sand on top of the pipe. Also lay a warning tape about 600 mm above the pipe. Pictures of the trench route across the field will help in finding the pipe if there is ever a problem in years to come.

I was thinking I might duct it to be fair. Just for ease of access if ever it needs upgrading. I've asked the water company if they will consider an LDC as one of the barns is up for sale for conversion. So one LDC feed can then be split to two short metered runs of 32mm. Makes sense to me, but we will see what they say.

Muggles, current set up is header tank in the loft. I had considered maybe an accumulator tank and pump if things are a bit pants.

I have - I’ve asked the question of ST. I read it as a grey area: the ‘property’ is not a multi occ single dwelling so technically doesn’t fit the guidance; but there will certainly Be two separate metered feeds to two properties required short term; and possibly two others in due course (other barns have planning but aren’t developed).

So to me it makes sense to take one LDC from the main, then split closer to end user; rather than expecting 2 or more end users to cut into the main separately.

So to me it makes sense to take one LDC from the main, then split closer to end user; rather than expecting 2 or more end users to cut into the main separately.

A development of 6 self builds had to have 6 separate supplies each over a hundred yards long and side by side for 80 yards in the same trench because the water company could not ( legally ) install a common service ( an LDC ? ) under private land.

Maybe consider laying in a supply pipe for the barn conversion while the trench is open. Seal the end and bury it just inside your boundary with the highway.

A development of 6 self builds had to have 6 separate supplies each over a hundred yards long and side by side for 80 yards in the same trench because the water company could not ( legally ) install a common service ( an LDC ? ) under private land.

Maybe consider laying in a supply pipe for the barn conversion while the trench is open. Seal the end and bury it just inside your boundary with the highway.

That’s just a bit bonkers really!

I had thought about putting a short 32mm run up to main; and into the property; to satisfy the Water company; but then step up to 63mm for the majority of the run. But I don’t know if that would be counter productive ie: pressure/flow rate restriction etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back