New mains worth the investment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a megaflow installed and everything seems good pressure wise around the house so am really pleased. It was mentioned at the time of install that if I had the opportunity to ever upgrade the mains feed then I should take it as the system benefits from higher flow and pressure rates.

I now have the chance to upgrade the mains as i'm re-doing the drive and I wondered if it was worth the investment. I expect it's going to cost me in the region of about £350-£500.

I did notice this morning whilst having a shower that the water got hotter when the cold tap downstairs was running so would the new mains sort this minor issue?

Sponsored Links
It is definitely worth doing.

Also, check that your installer has taken the cold supply to the shower from the balanced pressure cold offtake on the unvented safety kit upstream of the cylinder. This is often omitted.

>taken the cold supply to the shower from the balanced pressure cold offtake >on the unvented safety kit upstream of the cylinder. This is often omitted.

I have to get him back to install a few more rads in a couple of months so will get him to check. Is it easy to rectify if it has not been done?

I know the shower pipes are 22mm and come directly off the bath 22 mm feeds so I guess these will be coming direct from the megaflow. Is there anyway I can tell by looking at the tank?

There is the balanced pressure cold offtake on the pressure reducing brassware. These are usually at right angles to everything else, and fitted with a blank cap. They are for the cold supply to mixers only; NOT for cold taps or bog cisterns.

Sponsored Links
mmm, interesting as most of my taps have both a hot feed and cold feed into the one mixer, it's then the rotation of the mixer that determines the temperature, it's the same arrangement on my shower and most tap fittings throughout the house.

I just ran a quick test with my shower and it gets hotter for literally a second when you turn a cold tap on until it re balances itself, when you then turn the cold off the temp remains as it should.

That's what you would expect.

It is worth changing the main purely because you are already paying for the groundworks, and a maintenance issue later would be costly.

However, its worth pointing out that a larger diameter water main does not guarantee an enhanced performance. It depends on what quality of service the water provider is delivering to your boundary.

Cheers for the responses guys,

I guess i'm not necessary looking for a performance enhancement with the new main because we're happy at the moment. however in the future if our family grows then the draw on the system will be greater as there could be a couple of showers on at the same time as the washing machine etc. So if the larger mains can keep us running like we are then i'll be very happy.

Also just remembered the plumber is due back as the master temp on the hot system needs reducing a notch as it's too hot so that's probably why we notice the temp change so much when someone puts the cold tap on, even if it is just for a second. Hopefully by dropping this master temp we'll not even notice it ;)

So my new mains went in pretty much without a hitch – phew, but i've noticed in the evening after i've run a full bath that there is a luke warm discharge visible in the turdish for a few minutes until the tank refills. When the water was turned back on after the new mains went in there was quite a lot of splattering from the taps as there must have been quite a bit of air drawn in via the new connection. Could this be the reason for the discharge? I have also noticed the bath tap whistles/hums for a a couple of seconds when it's turned on. The pressure, temp, flow seems fine but for this dripping...

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Megaflo needs it's air gap recharging, you'll find this is something you'll have to get used to with this kind of unvented cylinder, one of the reasons I don't really like them

Bolst, please tell us what WE want to know!

Can you notice an improvement in the flow from the hot system?

Is the hot less affected by running cold downstairs?

How much extra did it cost?

What did the Water Supplier charge for the new connection to the main?

Tony

>Can you notice an improvement in the flow from the hot system?

To be honest it was always really good, pressure and flow has been amazing really. I only installed the new water main as I was having the drive changed and to date we only have a bath and one shower running off the system. When the en-suite is done and the kids are older I expect the call on the system will be greater so it's more future proofing than anything else.

>Is the hot less affected by running cold downstairs?

The only thing I noticed before is when the cold is run downstairs you get a fraction of a second where the water upstairs is slightly colder then is goes straight back to normal, so never really an issue

>How much extra did it cost?

My builder did it as part of the drive so difficult to tell an exact price but I think between £200 and £400 – which i'm happy with, it's a tidy job and I know I shouldn't get a problem in the future – famous last words...

>What did the Water Supplier charge for the new connection to the main?

My builder spoke to the water board, they came out and checked the stop cock on the path etc and were happy for the builder to make the connection as nothing their side needed doing so nothing.

Sorry, what I forgot to add is i've just had my water softener commissioned and we've noticed a slight drop in pressure which is to be expected but we had no choice as our little one needs it for her skin, shame to put all this high pressure stuff in but kids eh...

I think I could probably increase the pressure through the water softener as my plumber but a PRV and gauge on the inlet and it's only reading about 2.9 bar, i've monitored it over a few days at different times and it remains the same so I am going to call Monarch to see what it can safely be raised to.

So recharging the system, is this easy? Could it need recharging due to the new water main that has drawn lots of air into the system? It's been great for over a year so hoping this isn't a sign of things to come!

If problems resurface with extra bathrooms, you can always put pressure balancing kits on the feeds to each shower; unlike thermostats, these should react instantly when other taps are opened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back