New 'old' house C/H headache!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Just moved to a new property with a Ideal E type RS boiler and Grundfos 15-60 pump. It is floor mounted and has a storage cylinder above it and the F & E tank is in the loft space above it.
I made the cardinal error of tweaking the lockshields and buggered up the system balance (10 rads) and bleeding a rad with the pump running (the pump is on the return side).
The pump was originally running on speed 1. I cranked it up to 3 and rebalanced the system so all rads were on.
If I turn the speed back to 1 some of the the downstairs rads go cold, but if I go back to 3 air gets into the system and I have to bleed 2 rads upstairs daily.
Also the pump makes a ‘whirring’ noise on 2 & 3 which can be heard throughout the system.
I did get a good balance on speed 1 for about a day or two then the rads downstairs started to go cold.
I have not yet bled the pump to see if there are issues there. I thought there was an airlock in one of the downstairs rads causing the problem so I shut the upstairs rads off to force the water down and this seemed to do the job.
I have bled the valves on the flow and return pipes in the loft also.
Shall I start again and drain/clean/inhibitor the system?
Any other advice greatly appreciated !!!!!
Sorry for the long initial post!!
Cheers
Paul.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back