New Opening in old wall - What Cavity Closers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new front door in the front of my house, and will be cutting through the existing cavity wall to make the hole.

When I cut through the wall, the 100mm cavity will obviously become exposed and need to be filled with a cavity closers.

The new lintel will bridge the top section, but I will have to close the sides and the bottom of the hole before installing the door.

The bottom of the hole will be at the same level as the existing DPC.

Being a cut surface, there will be no return on the inner blockwork, and being a prebuilt wall, I can't use anything that needs the clips/fixings built in as the wall goes up.
I've had a look at a couple of manufacturers websites, but not managed to work out quite what the best product is.

Can anyone offer me any tips or links, as to what I should be using?
Also, should I be able to order it through the builders yard?

I want do do the cut through and door installation the same day, and so want to have all of my materials ready to go.
(Also need to get the Building Inspectors visit timed accordingly).

Cheers
Gary

Sponsored Links
I am installing a new front door in the front of my house, and will be cutting through the existing cavity wall to make the hole.

When I cut through the wall, the 100mm cavity will obviously become exposed and need to be filled with a cavity closers.

The new lintel will bridge the top section, but I will have to close the sides and the bottom of the hole before installing the door.

The bottom of the hole will be at the same level as the existing DPC.

Being a cut surface, there will be no return on the inner blockwork, and being a prebuilt wall, I can't use anything that needs the clips/fixings built in as the wall goes up.
I've had a look at a couple of manufacturers websites, but not managed to work out quite what the best product is.

Can anyone offer me any tips or links, as to what I should be using?
Also, should I be able to order it through the builders yard?

I want do do the cut through and door installation the same day, and so want to have all of my materials ready to go.
(Also need to get the Building Inspectors visit timed accordingly).

Cheers
Gary

I used these on a new build.
Quite satisfactory.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/70960

Simon.

Most proprietary cav' closers will do for the sides.

As for the floor, you will need to remove the brick course below damp, thus creating a trough.

This 'trough' can be lined with polythene and filled with floor screed or troweled concrete.

As for the floor, you will need to remove the brick course below damp, thus creating a trough.

This 'trough' can be lined with polythene and filled with floor screed or troweled concrete.

Noseall, Can you explain why I need to do this?

Is it just so that I have got a solid piece if floor in the cavity, without a path for the damp ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The floor is best made good right up to the frame for obvious reasons.

How else are carpet fitters expected to fit gripperods, certainly not to a piece of polystyrene. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back