New or rennovate stair parts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in a bit of a quandary as to what to do with my staircase. Funds are tight at the moment but whilst I am renovating the hallway, landing and stairwell I'd rather get it right now unless I can postpone some aspects...

I've attached photos of the existing stairs so you can see what I mean, there are only 3 parts to the handrail bit.

View media item 80885 View media item 80886 View media item 80887 View media item 80888
Ideally I'd like to replace the stair parts with wooden ones handrails, spindles, newels (Not the whole staircase) something in design similar to this //media.diynot.com/191000_190805_80889_32215102_thumb.jpg View media item 80889 but a bit darker (it doesn't have to be oak) but I'm not sure how much this would cost, I've been advised by a friend that it would be quite expensive and it is too difficult for myself to do as a DIY.

Alternatively, I was hoping that I could perhaps just remove the glass and put some new wooden spindles in, would this be difficult to do myself?

Could I paint and decorate the hallway, stairs and landing and install new carpets and then postpone this work until I can afford to have it how I would like it or is it a messy job where I'll need to redecorate and it will ruin the new carpets?

If anyone could give me a bit of advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back