New oven element and interior light, but still no heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Smeg scp495x-8 single electric oven, the interior bulb blew and knocked off the heat in the oven. It did not trip the electrics and the clock and timer still count down with the fan blowing out cold air. I assumed it was the oven element as it was slightly distorted when I examined it, and I got no reading on a multimeter when I tested it.

I have since replaced it with a new Smeg element as well as replacing the interior bulb, but I still have no heat in the oven or any interior light from the new bulb. Any ideas what could the problem be? :?:

Sponsored Links
Do you still have the old heating element?
Just check it again to be sure (what range was it set to?, and have you checked the new one? Ok its new but who knows could be faulty) though its looking like its possibly something to do with the selection knob/dial Or front control panel But as the fan is coming on I would think not.

There must be separate stats for oven and grill so rules that out But there could only be one common to both oven and grill.

Can't be much to these but its probably a pain to get to the control panel etc..

Sponsored Links
Yes I checked the old element with an old analogue (borrowed!) dial meter (doesnt have range) and it was completely dead, the new one registered the circuit straightaway on the meter. It's not a compatible one, but the same one from the manufacture. .

Check the thermostat.
Can you see one or two inside the oven?

Can't see one in the interior of this oven, there's just the top grill element and a slide out protector shelf on top of it, but there's nothing there either.

This Model uses a halogen interor bulb, electronic probe for oven temp. and PCB control.You may find the power PCB has blown tracks on it.

Which is easier to get to? The pcb or the probe.

I'll have to take it out of it's housing again. Everything looks easily accessible from the back once the back and top cover is removed.

Yes should be relatively easy, its getting it out of the housing, like you say.

Can you not get to the front pcb board without removing from the housing?
Obviously all the wiring goes to the front panel so if you can determine which wires are for what you may not need to take it out of its housing.

If it is the PCB, the part far too expensive to warrant a replacement. Rather annoying as the oven is only 5 years old. If fact this is the 3rd oven I have had in the past 10 years, nothing is made to last nowadays and it's an expense I can do without. :(

It will depend on the extent of damage but possible it can be repaired.

These are 2 stats, check them with meter whilst your at it.
One is a cut out stat!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back