New Painting results not so good.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I've just had my home repainted.My dad was a painter and decorator and it was him who did it last and did a great job but he's no longer here,so I got a guy who's been painting for years to do it.
There is lining paper on the walls and the walls looked great before,even he said it didn't need done but I wanted a change of colour.
I got Dulux one coat(More than one coat applied though)and the finish isn't great at all.
It actually looks(and feels)as if there is no lining paper but just plaster/wall.The two top walls look very patchy when looking side on and there is what looks like tiny holes.
I had a mirror on one wall and it was slightly damp when removed but it's not dampness,just slight condensation/moisture just where the mirror was and even after him adding some filler and sanding it looks really patchy and you can really see the different shades where he has cut in.
Any advice on what can be done.
I want to have the problem walls redone but don't want to be faced with the same problems?
Thanks folks.

Sponsored Links
He's not thinned his paint and you've got 'roller stipple'. You need to sand the stipple off and do it again. Odds are it'll never look right in the light though.

He's not thinned his paint and you've got 'roller stipple'. You need to sand the stipple off and do it again. Odds are it'll never look right in the light though.

I assume the Dulux one coat mentioned above is maybe a matt emulsion. I'm interested to know what you mean about thinning the paint. I used macphersons trade matt in a mid type shade (not a light colour but not too dark either), I was disappointed with getting roller marks and shading when looking at an angle/in light etc.

Do people thin matt emulsion like this?

Scott

Yes. Try 5% water to start with.

Sponsored Links
Dulux Once works by putting one thick coat on, Don't like it myself, Needs thinning quite a bit to make it work right. More thin coats are better than less thick coats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back