New party wall for splitting old house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house is an old cottage with flint and lime foundations. we're splitting it in half on either side of an old inglenook fireplace. Ive stripped out the floors and ceilings etc so we've got a clear space floor to roof. I'm trying to decide on the party wall construction. I don't think fire proofing should be a problem but I'm struggling with the 45db sound regs.
My problem with a masonry wall, is that I'm nervous about digging around the foundations/chimney in case I destabilise anything.
Id prefer timber but am finding it hard to find information on sound proofing, the internets full of people trying to sell you stuff. Building control refered me to the shefield insulation group but they were worried about giving advice.
Also theres a lovely round window in one of the flanking walls which cuts our width down to about a foot.
Anyone have experience with building timber party walls. two story. vaulted ceilings, all the way up is about 5metres. I can include joists or strengthening at the first floor level.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back