Building a partition wall

5 Aug 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I am going to build a partition wall just off from my party wall, and I plan to stuff it full of rockwool or simlar for sound proofing.

My question is, what size of timber is usually used for this type of application, and how far apart should the studs be to ensure the sound proof plasterboard will screw in ok.

Overall, I plan to build my partition wall but only fix it to the floor and ceiling. Fill with soundproofing material, then two layers of soundproof plasterboard, followed by a skim. The side of the plaster boards before the skim will be filled with accoustic caulk or similar.

Sponsored Links
You may get some reduction in sound transmission from the wall, but it won't affect flanking transmissions, also if you want to reduce low frequency noise you will need a more sound resilient material than rockwool.

Check out the following website for a more robust solution:


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links