New patio, Old Garage slab issues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Last year we ripped down an old garage to make more room in our small garden, leaving the old garage slab in place. This year I want to lay a new patio over the old garage space also replacing the old patio stones that butt up to the slab.
Ive had people tell me to just patio straight on top of the slab which initially sounded the obvious solution.
However on doing some research Im worried this isnt the best idea for several reasons? Drainage and the patio levels being too high for the house's Damp Proof Course.
Im happy to break up the old garage slab but this also presents a problem. It appears when the slab was originally laid (probably over 20 years ago) they concreted straight over a drain cover. The outline and part of the steel frame can be seen in the pictures below.
My worry is if I start to break up the slab am I likely to damage the drain itself? Or if done carefully could the concrete break away from the original drain housing leaving me with just a drain that would need lowering or covering over? The drain has never needed accessing in the whole time it's been covered over by the slab and there's another manhole further along in the garden so I'm happy to have it permanently covered over if needs be.
I've measured the depth of the slab and it is around 7 inch thick.
Sorry for the long winded post but its something i want to get right!
Hope the pictures show my predicament.
Thanks in advance for any help.
20210408_094004.jpg

20210408_103939.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back