New phone lines for flat conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently converting a 3 storey house in 3 flats one on each level. Could anyone tell me please what I need to do internally to make sure there is a phone line provision. Do I need to install the Cat5 master sockets in the relevant room and then feed it to where I think BT might come into the property if the new owner contracts BT or whomever?

There is 1 phone line to the property coming from the telegraph pole across the road would they add separate NTE boxes on the property for each flat?

In terms of future proofing - got tv cables going up to centralised aerial for freeview but in the case of sky there is an old sky dish outside if I put a quad lnb on it and wire that in before final fix would that be a good idea ? Do I then need another phone socket for sky?

Any help would be really useful thanks
Saff

Sponsored Links
cw1308 would be better for telephone. Although CAT5 will work, most will say it can degrade ADSL signals. I would assume that future lines would also come from the pole maybe a 4 inch IP rated box on the outside would be a good place to wire to.

Not sure on the Sky though doesnt sky plus need 2 lnbs or something?

The best way would probably be to run a telephone cable to a back box in each flat and run the cables to a centralised point, BT will then be able to join their incoming cable (s) onto yours.

in terms of the TV, it would be best to run coax in for freeview to a centralised point and 2 satellite cables to the same centralised point. An aerial fitter or SKY can then connect up a dish with a suitable LNB.

For the phone line for sky, if the master phone socket is not going to be near the TV points, run a phone cable from the master phone socket back box to another back box near the tv point for an extension socket.

Any other questions, ill try and answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back