Advice needed on new phone line to new house.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am basically wanting some advice on a new phone line I need fitting!

I am moving into a new build that doesnt have a phone line at the moment so I plan to get in touch with BT to get it sorted.
At my current house I'm on a Bulldog line as they were supplying my broadband but now I want to go with BT for the phone and o2 for the broadband.

The new build has a hole in the front of the house (just below the roof line) for the cable from the nearest pole, with some cables coming out of it and there is a hole in the wall in the living room with the other end of the cables, so I assume thats where the master socket will be going!

My question is, do I need to ask for anything specific from BT when I book them in? (I've got one of their flyers waiving the connection fee so I'm hoping I can use that!)

I will need the master socket sorting obviously but also I'd like a socket in 2 of the bedrooms (more for having Sky multiroom rather than an actual phone in the rooms) - does anyone know if BT will do this for me or will it cost extra? Also, if they will sort it, will they run the cable to the rooms from the outside of the wall or will they have to do it from the master socket inside???

Sorry if I've rambled a bit but I've never done this before and really need some help!

Thanks.....

SteveP

Sponsored Links
They will probably place the master socket on the end of their cable in the living room. After this point I doubt they will be that interested, I can't see them installing extensions within your premises free of charge tbh.
You can add them yourself if you like, BT will probably install a NTE 5 socket which has a removable front portion so no need to have big ugly adaptors in the front of it, extensions can be wired direcly into the removable portion - better to buy decent quality white 4 core telephone extension wire by the metre and a couple of sockets as opposed to those horrible extensions.
If you run the cable in and screw the sockets to the walls, make the BT engineer a butty and a cup of tea he might even connect them in for you. If not, it isn't that hard to do - just shout back.
For the broadband you'll either need a microfilter for each socket or you can buy a replacement front portion for the NTE5 which has a microfilter built in.

For the broadband you'll either need a microfilter for each socket or you can buy a replacement front portion for the NTE5 which has a microfilter built in.

Fitting the replacement front portion for the NTE5 which has a microfilter built in is the best option. Then wire separately for telephone and broadband to the locations they are need.

The tea and choccy biscuits are worth trying to get that extra little bit of customer satisfaction from the technician.

BT charge an arm and a leg for extension wiring - cira £80 per hour I recall.

A spark would be cheaper and neater too!

You may get the BT eng to do it as a private job - they often do jobs out of hours.

He wont do it while he is there as he will have been given x amount of jobs to complete in that day, and they know how long jobs should generaly take. BT really puch there engineers! Just ask them!

Sponsored Links
If the prep work is all done for them then you may stand a chance. We dug up an underground BT cable with a JCB, was dreading the bill but after a couple of rolls of insulation tape, tea and choccy biscuits the cable was officially ploughed up :LOL:

Thanks for all the replies guys!!

I think I'll see what the BT guys says on the day and if its too expensive I'll have a look at other options!!

Cheers,

SteveP

Ask the engineer what i quoted above,if he says yes then he has to put the master socket within 3m of cable entry and then he should provide you with a extension free of charge to where you want it(ONLY IF ITS A WLR3 PROVISION )the engineer won`t tell you this because he will be pushed for time as lectricain said above.

My question is, do I need to ask for anything specific from BT when I book them in? (I've got one of their flyers waiving the connection fee so I'm hoping I can use that!)
I'm not sure, but i think the term "connection fee" refers to the fee charged for connection to the exchange, and activation, of a previously redundant line. You have a new line here, you're paying for "installation" which is different to "connection".

The subject header for my post i meant"ask the engineer if its a wlr3 provision" just ask him that lets not complicate things

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back