New pipe network required for a combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, bought a house and the boiler (gravity fed one) needs replacing as is pretty ancient. Was prepared for this, but the heating engineer I had out suggested the whole pipe network in the house should be replaced as well, because (think I heard this right) the hot water and heating are currently on separate loops and modern systems have the whole thing integrated. He suggested modern boilers wouldn't work with my pipe system.

Is this correct? I tried some googling but couldnt find anything on this. Obviously replacing the pipes adds a lot to the cost.

Sponsored Links
He probably means its a one pipe system (google it) if so i would recommend you change it, have seen loads of combis on this type and can be a nightmare to balance. Plus if its very old that can cause problems if pressurised. Why not get another quote/second opinion.

He seemed to take exception to there being four pipes going into the top of the boiler, seemed to be suggesting it would be better if there were two...

I'll certainly get another quote, but am hoping to have a better idea of what he was on about first. Didn't sound like what you suggested, though could be wrong - I am pretty clueless about the subject!

Sponsored Links
Gravity central heating has to be changed to fully pumped.

Not exactly changing all the pipes but some new pipework near the boiler and/or cylinder.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back