new planning laws to parish councils

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all and happy new year,
can some one help me out on this ive heard planning will be dealt with the parish councils as apart of a government stratorgory....
i hope not as our parish know nothing especally about planning laws,all this will mean is back handers and costly appeals,can any one help me out with what is going on please

Sponsored Links
thankyou i dont know much someone was talking about it to me over xmas and i remembered a planner going on about it it last yr,doesnt sound good to me to trust them idiots with any planning permission,

It's all moot at the moment with proposals being debated

Instead of worrying about parish council decisions, I'd be more concerned about the proposals to give the decision making to the local community in general, and the concept of neighbours being able to require payment (ie compensation) in order for them to agree a planning proposal.

Then you will get 50 Tesco's all up the same street, and poor old Mrs Smith can't build her little kitchen extension just because the moron next door does not like her

Sponsored Links
but surely woody we are still governed by government legislation and that wont change,will this not just mean a back log of appeals at bristol due to applications being refused uneasesarly

No, because when the system for determining permission changes then the criteria for determining what is or is not acceptable will be published, just like it is currently.

So if the appeals process is not also changed (which has also been mooted) then things should not change too much

One other proposal is for local design guides to be determined by local panels, which will be a form of permitted development, which in turn may mean that certain small works such as extensions may not require a formal application at all

By all accounts the Government is trying to free up the time (and cost) of planners and reduce barriers to construction, but at the same time give control back to the people who are affected by development. This is what permitted development was supposed to do, but like all things it has got diluted and the concept interfered with

Taking extensions as an example, with the boom in the early 90's, PD was brought in to free up the planning system of lots of small development applications. However, over the past few years, more and more people are complaining about neighbouring extensions even when PD rights are adhered to. Basically neighbours love to complain about neighbours, and there is a prevalent bias mood against any neighbour extension - for one of several possible reasons

So it may come to some sort of free for all where all things of a certain type are allowed in a particular area or even street, or nothing at all. But the worrying thing is - who exactly will control all of this - the local busy-bodies, the local builders or financiers, bigger business, or just plan old Mr and Mrs Smith?

very interesting,
but here in cornwall every time you put an application in the planners always take away your permitted development rights so pd wont be available for a lot of people and also a lot of people here fall out with parish members,lolas they are only bizzy bodies and want abee people not really knowledgable and dont like givin there seats up for the young ones,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back