new plaster advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Had a conservatory built with a high wall on one side and dwarf walls on the other sides, it has just been a week now since it was plastered, it still needs to dry out in some patches. when it is fully dry i believe i need to seal the plaster before i paint. I had a look in b+q today they sold one by dulux which was about £36 and there own brand which seemed more watery for about £16. i have also heard you can water down matt emulsion for the same purpose, although i dont know how much water to use! would appreciate any thoughts, recommendations or advice. many thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to mist coat the bare plaster with a thinned down coat of matt emulsion. About 30 % water. When dry you can rub it down and fill any little holes etc. Then give another coat of the same paint but thinned by ony about 10%. After this one or two coats of un thinned paint in your chosen colour / finish.

Right ok thanks. So would bog standard b+q white matt emulsion be ok? can i use a roller or does it have to be a brush? Sorry for the stupid questions but when you say any little holes do you mean in the paint after i have used the emulsion or in the plaster. At the moment the plaster is very smooth with no holes. Thanks

Use a roller. Some plastering can show small dents in the plaster when painted. Give it a gentle rub over when the paint is dry. You can caulk up the woodwork now aswell prior to any other coats of paint. When its dry use a thicker coat. You can use any brand of white matt for this. Keep your good paint for the final coats.

Sponsored Links
Use a roller. Some plastering can show small dents in the plaster when painted. Give it a gentle rub over when the paint is dry. You can caulk up the woodwork now aswell prior to any other coats of paint. When its dry use a thicker coat. You can use any brand of white matt for this. Keep your good paint for the final coats.

Double post sorry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back