new plaster coming of walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can advise please

I have had a plasterer reskim my whole house and there have been several patchs and 2 whole walls have had to be re done because the plaster has just bubbled up and come off when applying the mist coat,

we put pva 5-1 mix on the walls, they had been painted with matt paint in the past, we gave them 2 good coats and the pva was allowed to dry as per our plasters instructions.

I dont understand how it can fall off, you could tap the new plaster lightly with a back of a scraper and you could hear that patchs are just hollow underneath between new and old plaster, its now happened to another wall and im getting really demoralised as its our first house and we cant start painting or even try to finish it of and we dont have much money leaft to have to sort the problem out.

Thanks

and could some one give me an idea on the standard of finish we should expect from multi finish plaster as i have had to masses of sanding and there are trowl marks every where on the walls and small blemish holes in quite a few places the kitchen ceiling is really bad

Sponsored Links
Did your plasterer pva the walls again immediately before skimming? If not, there’s where your problem lies. The wall should be pva’d, the pva allowed to go tacky, then the area skimmed. The tacky pva helps the plaster adhere to the background.

If you’ve paid a professional plasterer at the going rate then I would expect no trowel marks, blemishes, etc. The plasterer should make good any noticeable imperfections.

If you’ve not paid them yet, then don’t until you’re happy with the work.

he is a dodgy plasterer and has applied the skim far too thin.

over-skimming is an affordable way of improving walls, but is not without risks. there will always be occasions where a little bit of 'lift'
may occur. thicker skim can deal with this, thin skim most definitely can not.

he may have only give it 1 coat. :eek: :rolleyes:

I bet he did one of those week long plastering courses. Time served Mr Polski would have done a real job for probably half the price.

Sponsored Links
kingy is spot on.
Got my vote but laying it on too thin won't help either! What was under that matt paint? If it’s also coming away with the plaster, could be there was silk or gloss below that which needs more prep if the plaster is to stay up there!

either way it should of been pva'd prior to skimming but all them problems could happen.

Hi

no he did not pva and allow it to go tacky, i did quiz him on it and he just brushed me of un like the walls i expect that once the orginal pva had gone hard the dust also setled and did not allow good adhesion.

Thanks for all your help a least i have a little more knowledge, and he has had his tools returned to him and told we dont want him back however we are considerabley out of pocket.

It's a shame you lost out on this one Dave7. You'll know for sure to warn others in the future of this cowboy and his sub standard work.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back