New plasterboard damp (Plumbing leak?)

I'm sure the water is running down the wall. Is the wall wet above the boiler, or only below it?

you can tie up the ball valve in the feed and expansion tanbk if you like, after marking the water level, and watch if it goes down.

Boiler or bathroom? You tell me. It is definitely not rising damp.

Sponsored Links
Well the boiler is definitely not leaking and there does not appear to be any leaks in the bathroom, only possible leaks would be where the waste & soil pipes go through the wall, but this seems unlikely so any further comments would be appreciated!

Thanks

... only possible leaks would be where the waste & soil pipes go through the wall, ...

That is quite possible.

A damp wall underneath a bathroom and a boiler? £5 says its a leak.

Have a sniff at the damp and decide if it smells more like bathwater or WC water.

If you can't trace it yourself find a gnarled and experienced old plumber.

Anybody else want to have a go?

Hi john, you may well be right but I have taken the boiler cover off this afternoon and there are no leaks to the water pipes. If water was leaking into the wall from one of the soil/waste pipes would damp appear from the ceiling are downwards. As i said in my first post there were two holes around the flue on the outside wall, only filled in approx a week ago, so could it still be drying out? I cannot smell anything from the damp areas and to touch they do not feel damp. I'm totally stumped and worried about how much this has cost me already, although prior to the plasterboarding the old plaster was totally damp.
i have asked the damp proofer to come back, this is the second time i've asked, first time he did not turn up, so ill see if he turns up tomorrow!
My only option left now is to get an independent Building Surveyor but i've no idea of what that will cost?

Sponsored Links
Just a thought but where is your stop tap in relation to the boiler?
As the mains pipe might be coming up to the boiler just behind the damp line.

Maybe you could make a hole in the plaster under the worktop & see if any pipes run up that line.

...My only option left now is to get an independent Building Surveyor but i've no idea of what that will cost?
get a plumber in and ask him to find the leak.

... damp appear from the ceiling area downwards. ..
ask him to start with the bathroom pipes above

WickedWizard - he says it is a vented system with an F&E

The walls have been stripped back to the brickwork prior to replastering, the only pipes come through the ceiling, there are no pipes behind the damp line.
After a visit from the damp company today they state it is damp penetrating from the exterior and being transferred to the plaster via the adhesive dabs.

I've still got £5 on a leak.

the pictures you previously published showed a very wet line running vertically under the boiler, and vertical oval wet patches either side of it rather than the round slightly damp patches you might get from a damp wall. Also you did not have damp patches over the entire wall, they were worst under the boiler and much fainter to the sides.

Put that photo up again and see what anyone else thinks.

I also noticed you have some ragged-looking waste pipes coming through the wall from the bathroom above the wet patches, and you say you have not looked under the bathroom floor due to the tiles.

But I can see you don't believe me :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back