Strange Leak Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new house, and the first time the bath was used, a small damp patch developed on my kitchen ceiling directly under the bathtub. I have had the plumber out to repair it 3 times, the first 2 times he said he could find nowhere a leak at all, and the 3rd time he came out, he told me it looked like it was possibly an overflow, waistline problem, which he insisted he had fixed. Following the plumbers advice, I immediately went to B&Q and bought some "Thompsons Stain Blocking Damp Seal" and applied to the stained ceiling which by this time had turned yellow with a small black patch in the middle. The Damp Seal sprays onto the stain and turns it white, ready to emulsion over. Now we still use the bath as we have no shower and cant afford one just yet, so I painted over the stain once dry, and all looked perfect, after one week I noticed that the small black patch is starting to come through only it looks a faint grey color at this point, I felt the ceiling and it feels dry (although not as dry as the rest of the kitchen ceiling) and the black patch which I presume is mould is bone dry, but still coming through a bit, any ideas how I can make it go away? it looks ok now but worried it may get worse.

Sponsored Links
You have got to identify where the water is coming from before you can hope to fix it.

I think you would do well to take the bath panel off, fill the bath with water and get someone to splash about in it while you watch carefully to see where the leak is coming from.

If you puff talcum powder about it will show the tracks of drips and runs.

You could also put a sheet of newspaper underneath to highlight where drips are falling

Look particularly at:

Round the taps where they go through the deck

The overflow where it is fastened to the end of the bath

The flexible tube connecting the overflow to the trap

The sealant round the edge of the bath

The screwed joints on the waste

If the trap is sunk into the floor, feel underneath it

If you have a concealed shower with pipes sunk into the wall it might be leaking out of sight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back