New radiator advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have recently purchased a new radiator ready for fitting in the Kitchen.

Its a 1200x584 horizontal rad with the 1/2" connections underneath the rad, not to the side:

rad1.jpg

Would this type of valve be suitable?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/iBathUK-St...sr=8-2&keywords=straight+white+radiator+valve

Its going to be fitted to the existing pipework here:
rad2.jpg

I think i'll get a plumber in to connect it up and maybe extend the pipes a little higher.

As the existing vales are being removed, would the system have to be drained otherwise it would pour out those pipes?

Finally, would you recommend a TRV in a kitchen? its fairly near the house thermostat, perhaps 2 meters away from the stat in the hallway. Its a 3 bed house with the kitchen downstairs. Only the upstairs rads have TRV's.

Many thanks.
Dan

Sponsored Links
The valves linked should be fine,the pipework will need altering though and yes the system will need draining down to replace valves and alter pipework.
If the Room stat is in the same room, then TRV can be excluded on that radiator

Assuming a rad without a TRV is either not required or already present in the hall, why would you nit fit one. Kitchens are obviously a room with massive fluctuations in temperature, so a TRV is, if not a necessity (although possibly is under the regs), a sensible option.

Sponsored Links
The other consideration on fitting a TRV is, what type of heating system is it & does it require/have a bypass or is this rad fitted with 2 lockshields for a reason.

The other consideration on fitting a TRV is, what type of heating system is it & does it require/have a bypass or is this rad fitted with 2 lockshields for a reason.

that is why I qualified my statement/suggestion

that is why I qualified my statement/suggestion

Wasn't a reference to your comment @FiremanT but more for the op to consider his system.

The regs ask for a TRV(s) to ensure new installations are more efficient than old or not if it's close enough to affect the room stat as part of the interlock, as against an older system that was installed with a rad acting as a bypass as the system needs one, which isn't part of the regs per se but more a manufacturer's requirement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back