New radiator - can't remove vent/valve plugs!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just after some quick help please. I've hung a new radiator on the wall and it's got some plastic plugs in the connection points for the valves. They look like they've been powder coated over and when I try to undo them with a screwdriver, they're just rounding off.

Does anyone know how I can remove them? I'm a bit cautious about trying to drill them out.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
They are just plastic protection caps just prise them out doesnt matter if you damage them you are going to throw them away anyway

Pair of mole grips or pump pliers normally moves them without damaging the thread.

Thanks both, ended up driving a pair of pliers through the cap to remove it.

Is this how most threads are protected on radiators when they're painted? I've rebuilt a few motorbikes in the past and protected threads with rubber caps or bungs when they've been powder coated. Never had that much hassle removing one!

Sponsored Links
some are screwed in and some are just bungs that are pushed in , as you sat when they paint the rad excessive paint around the bung can make them difficult to remove but they are just bits of plastic and will give way long before they can damage any thread

Never even thought of that but yes they probably are, but as all agreed the plastic plugs are just to protect the internal threads and the inside of the rad, not really rocket science to remove

Ive been getting this problem lately with Henrad radiators. I had a word with the company rep and got a special tool for the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back