Can't undo radiator nut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm trying to remove a radiator but I'm having problems undoing the nuts that connect the raditor to the valves. I think joint compound has been used because I can see some on the nut/valve. I've tried with a large adjustable spanner without success. I don't want to use too much force in case I manage to break something.

Any ideas how I can undo these nuts?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo andy pike and welcome :D :D

are you remembering the nut has to be turned towards the radiator
down on the left hand up on the right hand ;)

you should the pipework firmly so it dosnt twist
try tightening slightly before trying to loosen it

Thanks, I'll give it another go tonight. I was turning it the correct way. I'll try tightening a little first.

Any other tips?

Perhaps a bit of heat, a blowlamp would soften the seal. If there is not much water in the pipe Regards Flounder

Sponsored Links
Remember that you can drain the whole system, unscrew the valve union at the other end of the rad, and then disconnect the seized-up end at the joint between valve and supply pipe. Unscrew valve and tail out of the rad (together) and fit a complete new valve. Less hassle than struggling with it, wasting time and possibly damaging pipes.

After heating it, hit it gently but firmly with a hammer, then attempt to tighten it before loosening it. This should do the trick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back