Remove basin tap in very tight space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m trying to do a 5 min job and it’s proving to be a massive PITA. I’m try to undo the tap nut under the basin but now realise it’s very tight and wondering how the hell they managed to install it. I’ve tried undoing it with a basin wrench but discovered that’s only useful for unscrewing the final hexagonal plastic nut. I bought a telescopic tap wrench instead only to find it’s too big. See attached video. Anyone have any ideas how I can get this unscrewed? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hold nut with tap spanner or angle adjustable spanner in space and get an assistant to ease tap anti clockwise.

I’m trying to do a 5 min job and it’s proving to be a massive PITA.
from the video,it looks like you have got the spanner in a position to tighten the tap connectors :cautious: Ok its a restricted access position :cry:

can you cut the pipes below the basin,remove the basin from the wall. Do your taps. fit a couple of 15mm compression couplers and rehang the basin.

Or try the spanner around the correct way undo the tap connectors and temporally remove the basin from the wall for the tap exchange,then refit (y)

I’m trying to do a 5 min job
customers use to tell me its a 5 minute job but my minimum charge was an hour + travel. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
For what it is worth I gave up trying to get the taps free of a wash basin when re-plumbing my outside loo last month. I took the basin off the wall and faced with having to hack saw the taps apart I bit the bullet and a new basin was fitted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back