Basin tap bolt seized

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to change the taps on a basin and cannot undo the nut under the basin securing the old tap. Access is awkward, but I can get a basin wrench onto it. It is a metal nut that I guess has been there about 25 years. I have tried WD40 and gently tapping the tap to loosen it. Any suggestions? (Please!).

Sponsored Links
One way is to remove the tap gubbins and drill down. Blacksmiths drills are best but a suitably sharpened flatbit will do it. Needs to be a slight V to keep in the centre of the hole, 3/4" / 19mm for a 1/2" tap. They scrape their way through quite quickly, especially through cheap taps.

From underneath a box spanner is usually easiest once the pipe's out of the way. (plumber's merchant).
It's often old goo which makes things difficult so heat helps a lot. Take tap insides out ond stick your blowlamp up from the bottom - warm enough in seconds!

Thanks very much Chris. I tried a heat gun for stripping paint to heat the bolt, as you said within a short time it moved easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back