Help needed removing subborn tap !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to remove the hot tap from a basin and I'm having real problems. The nut which secures it to the basin underneath has siezed and I cannot loosen it. I used a solid steel basin wrench, tried to lever it and eventually broke one of the claws off :cry:

I sprayed lots of WD40 onto the joint but still no joy but maybe it will need a long time to fully soak in. I'm now considering heating the nut and using the following replacement tool:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/...th/pipe-benders-plumbing-tools/brand/monument

Any additional advice on this would be much appreciated !

Many thanks,

Andy.

Sponsored Links
For the cost of a new basin is it really worth however many hours you have spent and are going to spend while maybe eventually breaking the basin anyway? Either get a new one or get a proper basin wrench.

Well replacing the basin seems a bit extreme. So far it's only costed me an hour and a wrench. A new basin would make it a much bigger job as I'd be potentially needing to make changes to all 3 pipes to match it up, let alone the hassle with wall attachment and tiling.

I'm sure if I called a plumber they would have the tools and skills to do it without replacing or damaging the basin, it would just cost me a callout for something I should be able to tackle myself with a little guidance ;)

Andy.

if you heat the nut you'll probably have to replace the sink cos it'll crack

:)

Sponsored Links
but if you heat the tap above ..it might not crack :idea:

So what causes it to crack, the heat of the metal on the ceramic or the expansion of the metal in the tap hole ? I was planning to keep the heat very localised by using a small gas powered lighter wand rather than anything serious like a blowtorch.

Thanks again...

hi just go to the plumbing merchants and buy the box spanner it fits bath and basin nuts all you will have to do is disconnect the pipe and slide the box spanner over the whole thing that will undo any stubborn tap nut it was more than likely put in with red lead putty or just putty
i would not be without mine never failed yet to get one out even on a cast iron bath they are nnly about £5 so its a good investment

mick

Some can be absoloutely stuck.

I couldn't get the taps off my cast iron bath. I tried:

basin wrench - crap

box spanner - still no luck

blowtorch - no luck

1/2 ratchet with 32mm socket - worked when alternated with the propane torch!

In the end the ratchet worked on one backnut, on the other one I used a grinder to take a face off the backnut and then the socket and ratchet.

Thanks for all the replies and collective experiences. I'll shop around for a socket type tool, try the heat + force method and hope that the basin can take it !

A basin wrench didn't help with my seized tap - the extra leverage I achieved with the 2' breaker bar certainly didn't give the result I was after, that's for sure !

DB_Toilet_001.jpg

I'd come home to find mains pressure cold water spraying into the sink and discovered that the washer had failed completely. None of the plumbers merchants could get hold of a replacement washer, so I was wanting to fit another old tap just to tide me over until I replaced the cloakroom suit. Looks like that'll be sooner rather than later ! :LOL:

DB_Toilet_003.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back