Basin Wrench-what type? Doesn;t fit back nuts!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if anyone can help me! I have tried to tighten back nuts on my basin pillar taps, but the basin wrench (sold type) doesn't fit them! It's only fits over the tap connectord and not the back nut! Is an adjustable basin wrench better? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
Steve,

I'm assuming your basin wrench has spring hinge so should fit over the back nut.

I had more problems with access due to size of basin wrenches more than anything else. So I ended up buying a tool called JAW DROPPER from Pulsar Direct.

You get 2 in a case, 1 for basins & 1 for baths. Each has to ends with moveable flat plates that means you can use it on both imperial and metric nuts.

Hope this helps.

Rico

I'm assuming your basin wrench has spring hinge so should fit over the back nut.

the basin wrench (sold type)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:D

The backnuts size isn't standard.
These fit them all, and there are clumsier versions with springs:
_19142_112493.jpg

Jawdropper looks ok, but probably won't fit everything. I have one - I'll have lost it by the time I need it.

I use a box key,fits every time.Costs about a tenner I think.

Sponsored Links
Box key? Is that just a box spanner? If so is it not the fact that they are not long enough sometimes?

Box key? Is that just a box spanner? If so is it not the fact that they are not long enough sometimes?

Yip.

Never had a problem to be honest,tap would have to be some length to be problem.

Also have a smaller set for mixer taps they are a Godsend particularly for some basin mono mixers which can be a pig to get a tighten on and are brilliant for replacing sink mixers in situ.

Thanks! I already ordered a smaller set from Ebay after fitting a pig of a mixer tap a few days ago! Will go check out some bigger ones as well...

SUre, but the whole THING with taps is the pipe in the middle! All the special backnut spanners are designed to let you tighten the backnut with the tap connected to pipe in situ!

SUre, but the whole THING with taps is the pipe in the middle! All the special backnut spanners are designed to let you tighten the backnut with the tap connected to pipe in situ!

But that was the OP's original question which was, what to use to tighten the back nut.

BUt since the tap connector was in place it seems reasonable to assume there was a pipe as well?? :rolleyes:

Try the 'Bearhug' adjustable basin/bath tap wrenches. They're good except for very tiny cloakroom basins.

On sale online at (for example) B.E.S. (http://www.bes.co.uk/), or simply Google 'bearhug wrench' for other suppliers.

Cheers, Big Al

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back