What wrench is needed for tightening a basin nut ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As part of a maintenance job I've released this basin trap by hand to clean out the accumulated gunk. In doing so the nut has loosened which pushes the flange tight against the basin and now the whole thing is spinning and there are leaks. The waste is fitted with plumbers mate.

The size of the nut is about 50mm in diameter. A standard basin waste.

What wrench or wrench kit is needed to make this nice and tight again ? Clearly I will need to hold the waste firm from above to stop the spinning when I am tightening the nut from below. Is there a piece of kit for this job in addition to the wrench which is used on the nut ?

Many thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_20230112_140432734.jpg
    IMG_20230112_140432734.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20230112_140358168.jpg
    IMG_20230112_140358168.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
A long bladed screwdriver, but you should really remove and clean the waste, or even replace and reseal it, as the plumbers mait will have lost its sealing qualities.

Blup

Take the trap off then use Adjustable pump pliers and grip the shank of the waste from below with a thick cloth to protect the threads and nip the nut up.

TBH, the ideal would be to take the waste out, clean all the mait crap off everything (I hate the stuff), sink and waste, then re-install the waste clean inside the basin itself and then fill the gap underneath the basin between the threaded shank and the throat of the waste hole with clear silicone and little down onto the threads, nowhere else. Then hand tighten the nut and half a turn holding the threaded shank with your hand and run your finger around the bottom of the nut where a little silicone may have squeezed out, shouldn't need any more than that. As long as the seals are in good nick then it should be leak free.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back