Remove tap back nut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am hoping someone can help.

I am trying to replace a tap but I am having real trouble getting the tap back nut off. I bought a basin wrench similar to this one:
http://www.diy.com/departments/rothenberger-basin-wrench/139416_BQ.prd

The problem is the space is so tight I cant open up the clamp enough to get it around the nut. It doesnt help that the pipework is solid so isn't really movable and makes it more awkward. There also seems to be some old glue or sealant around the back nut which again doesn't help.

I have attached a couple of images to try and show the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
John
Photo 18-03-2016, 10 35 08.jpg
Photo 18-03-2016, 10 35 23.jpg

Sponsored Links
Remove the water pipe and pull it clear ( you just need a fraction of 'give') - and get in there with a box spanner or deep drive socket.
John :)

I use a "jaw-dropper" wrench, but agree that these jobs can be a s*d if gummed up with compo.

Sometimes heat is required.

Sponsored Links
Yup, you'll be lucky get that off without removing the feed pipe 1st, pull it to the side and get a box tap spanner on it,
shopping

you'll find it relatively easy doing it that way. You have to remove the feed pipe anyways as you're changing the tap.

Lie in your back with goggles and a drill with small hss drill bit. Make a series of holes. Then move to a larger bit until you cut through the nut.
Looks like it's made in with putty, you have to persevere with these.
I've got about 5 different basin spanners but this method works if they don't.

Oh yeah, as and when you do get the back nut off, get a replacement brass nut(do not even think about the carp plastic ones that seem to come with most sets of taps these days....) and some 'top-hat' washers just google them, to give you a chance to keep tap steady when giving the final half-a turn and minimising risk it coming undone.

Tried the box spanner and the thing still wouldn't budge! It was only supposed to be a 'quick job'. Had I known it was going to be so much hassle I never would have started, I definitely don't want to get involved with cutting the feed pipes etc. I also got a basin wrench but one end seemed to big and the other too small. I think I will have to write this project off or get a professional in :(

I have never found a basin that you can get either of those two tools into position.... must be unlucky!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back