New Radiator - couple of queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm in the process of relocating a radiator, and as I'm a relative newboe, just wanted to check a couple of things if you'd be so kind:

Firstly, i have bought a new TRV / lockshield valve pack (one of these to be precise): http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...onsSpecificProductType=valves_and_accessories

In the pack though, both of the valve bodies are identical - is this right? i would have expected them to be different?

Secondly, i am installing a length of copper at the radiator end of both pipes for cosmetic reasons, and between this and where I am cutting into the exosting pipework, intend to install plastic. My research suggests using plastic pushfit fittings should be fine to join the copper to plastic, but I would be interested to hear any experiences of this from people on here.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Well one should have a rounded top were the TRV head screws on (TRV should be in box seperate), and one should have a cap on held by a little cap on, and when you take the cap off it, it looks like this

shut.jpg

Using plastic push fit fittings on copper is fine, just not on chrome copper, and make sure when you fit it to plastic pipe, there is an insert in the end of the pipe.

I can't get my head round what you mean by fitting a length of copper at the "radiator end" though :)

Thanks.

That certainly means i was right to be suspicious - once the caps are off, both ends have the 'pins' that should out be on the TRV end. Though it seems that is how they're meant to come - you can see a bit better what's in the pack in the below picture:

On the last bit, fair point - I didnt explain it very well. I mean I plan to use copper from the valves until the pipe is under the floor, and then plastic once out of sight![/url]

WTF! The lockshield is just a TRV with a shiny decorators cap

Take that pack back and get a proper set with 1 TRV and 1 lockshield valve that can be correctly balanced.

Sponsored Links
Drayton is a reputable make, and I expect they know what they are doing [and can no doubt express themselves adequately without swearing].

Your new valves are OK. Plastic is OK. Make sure the pipes are fully inserted into the fittings.

WTF! The lockshield is just a TRV with a shiny decorators cap

Take that pack back and get a proper set with 1 TRV and 1 lockshield valve that can be correctly balanced.

It's a TRV4 P_P, yes the sets do come as two TRVs with one head and one posh dec cap, but balancing is not an issue as TRV4s have a balancing function incorporated into them, and have had for many years. You need a gadget to do it with, but it can be done and works well.

Great - thanks all. I can at least now proceed with a bit more confidence!

In hindsight I think I'd have been better off buying the lockshiels valve seperately and got a 'normal' one though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back