New radiator upstairs, now upstairs rads won't refill

jfl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please does anyone have any advise..

Yesterday we had a plumber in to change and move a radiator upstairs. After fitted he couldn't get the rads upstairs to refill, he tried attaching hose to pipe and forcing water through but this didn't work. he said we must have a blockage somewhere (although system worked OK before). Said we should get someone in to flush system as he didn't have the equipment or he could come back but may involve cutting out bits of pipe.
He told us not to use the system until fixed (the downstairs rads do have water in)

I have tried bleeding upstairs rads, they do seem to have a lot of air in, thought this might draw the water through - but then thought I might be making it worse.

Any suggestions very welcome - thanks

Sponsored Links
You could try closing all the downatirs radiatiors and putting the the heating on... should force water to the other upstairs radiators... as upstairs rad warm up close the lockshield and move on to the next...

but don't shut all the valves, always make sure one stays open... vent them as they warm up before isolating... might work!!

Doesnt sound that wise to me. the pump is probably in the airing cupboard and could well be , from the desc, dry and air dont pump round.

sounds like an air lock, but he tried using a hose....hmmm

did he use it right ?

could it be the feed is blocked or indeed no water in the f and e ?

I dont think powerflush will unblock blocked pipes (could be wrong as I am making a habit today of cocking it up)

as JPC says you have a blocked cold feed and I only know one way to sort those and thats to start cutting.

sorry

Sponsored Links
Where did he try to fill it up from? if it was from a drain off valve then it may not have a fixed jumper in it & that will prevent the system filling as it will act as a non return valve......yes I know from experience! If there are drain off valves on the rads do it from one of them.

but its not a good idea to back fill as system with a blocked cold feed, in my opinion the blockage should be sorted really

Couldn't agree more, but it's always better if you can walk away ( or sometimes run! ) from a job with the system working. As long as the customer knows there is a problem then it's up to them to get it sorted, but at least they can do it in their own time when finances permit.
Sometimes a system will not fill but will allow enough to filter through to keep the system topped up.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
the old "just getting some tools from the van" and drive away ploy

:LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back