New radiator valve too far to reach inlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have just replaced an upstairs single wall radiator with a double wall radiator (for more heat) but I did not consider the inlets.

I do not have access to the pipes as they come out of the floorboards and are then covered with laminate. There is a little give but not enough to comfortably reach the valves without constant stress.

My ideas:
1-cut into the wall so that the brackets are deeper so the radiator is closer to the wall (I'm not sure if there will be enough plaster to cut out)
2-Get a radiator valve with a bend in it so it comes out, shaped like this:
https://cityirrigation.co.uk/acatalog/mpvc34x450.jpg
(I'm not sure if they exist)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A photo would help, but can the pipes not be cut back and altered to line up?

A photo would help, but can the pipes not be cut back and altered to line up?
Thanks.

Pics attached. DSC_0419_noexif.JPG DSC_0418_noexif.JPG DSC_0417_noexif.JPG DSC_0420_noexif.JPG

How do I alter the pipe? Is it ok for me to just bend them using a pipe bender?

which way round did you fit the new brackets ? there are two ways, one takes the rad closer to the wall the other way round pushes the rad out slightly

Sponsored Links
which way round did you fit the new brackets ? there are two ways, one takes the rad closer to the wall the other way round pushes the rad out slightly
Yeah, I did see that haha, I fitted it the short way. The other way will come out more.

Chip/drill a little bit out of the floor to give more movement on the pipes maybe? Give the pipes a tug and put a small bend in them?

if they wont bend, likely you will have to cut the pipe and install 2x 45 degree elbows on each pipe to get the pipes where you need them

or if you have a pipe bender, bend an s shape how you need it and cut the pipes and use a straight joiner to connect the newly bent s shape

you could use 2x 90's (if there is room) but might look a bit crap.

Chip/drill a little bit out of the floor to give more movement on the pipes maybe? Give the pipes a tug and put a small bend in them?
I've tried the first suggestion. I can't get any more because the movement is now blocked by the floorboards, and I don't want to attempt keyhole surgery in case I hit the pipe.

I'm happy to do the second suggestion if that is safe for the radiator pipe. Can you advise please?

I've tried the first suggestion. I can't get any more because the movement is now blocked by the floorboards, and I don't want to attempt keyhole surgery in case I hit the pipe.

I'm happy to do the second suggestion if that is safe for the radiator pipe. Can you advise please?

if you bend the pipe it wont line up to the rad as bending the pipe effectively makes the pipe shorter so you will have to lower the rad.

if they wont bend, likely you will have to cut the pipe and install 2x 45 degree elbows on each pipe to get the pipes where you need them

or if you have a pipe bender, bend an s shape how you need it and cut the pipes and use a straight joiner to connect the newly bent s shape

you could use 2x 90's (if there is room) but might look a bit crap.

Can I buy a pipe bender and bend it in-situ?

if you bend the pipe it wont line up to the rad as bending the pipe effectively makes the pipe shorter so you will have to lower the rad.
I haven't permanently drilled the bracket in. The bracket and its hangers are very forgiving, and the inlet pipe has some up/down movement so I am ok there too.

You won't get a pipe bender in there. You'll need 2 × 45° elbows on each pipe as sxturbo suggests

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back