New Rads and boiler keeps shutting off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am at my absolute wits end with my heating system!

A month or so ago the boiler began to switch itself off once lit after a little while. Sometimes it wouldn't lite at all unless it's was boosted for hot water as well then turn the hot water off. This only occurred mainly when it was very cold outside. I have checked the condenser pipe which connects to the waste for the washing machine and diswasher inside the house and is not blocked.

At the weekend I had a friend of a friend who is gas safe registered install three double radiators upstairs, the Replacement rads were replacing old single but same size ( height and width).

The boiler then lit but soon conked out and the radiators barely got warm upstairs. The engineer needed to leave and said if any probs to call him back.

I called him back in the evening. I suggested that maybe the boiler needs to be turned up.
He turned the boiler up from 20kw to 24kw and checked the gas pressure. He balanced the rads and said that it was all done however the boiler continued to shut down. He said the boiler was overheating and therefore turned itself off to protect its pipe.

The next morning when we woke, the heating had not come on. I reset it several of times but kept going out.

I rang my emergency home care cover by AA via my bank. He had a look and said it was the pump. He replaced the pump. The heating lasted a bit longer but then would cut out and two rads down stairs were no longer getting warm at all, even after a balance. The engineer advised that there was a blockage some where and the system needed flushing. The system was flushed by BG by the previous owner in 2014. I contacted them re there lifetime guarantee however this is only eligible if you have a continuous contrsct with there home start etc.

Currently I have a very temperamental heating system. The strange thing is it works ok when I turn the upstairs rads off. Also the boiler lasts longer when the hot water is boosted.

I am a little suspicious when they say it needs a power flush etc.
The whole system is 2.5 years old, serviced 11 months ago snd I really don't know what is wrong. A new system which is has been flushed shouldn't contain any blocked etc.

Any one have any ideas?
There are 3 double rads upstairs and 6 singles downstairs.

Many thanks in advance.

Matt

Sponsored Links
My immediate thought is that the fellow who fitted the new rads should be capable of diagnosing your problem.

But you have not given us your boiler model or confirmed that the system is piped with 22 mm and 15 mm tube.

Did he think about the ability of the pipework to supply the new larger rads?

Tony

What happens if you close off some of the rads via the valves? Ideally start with the new ones.

Hi guys,

The bloke who fitted the rads is no shirt then a cow boy, I know.. I have learnt the hard way and just fobbed me off basically. He said the pipes are over heating in the boiler which is shutting it down. Though I understand this is probably correct but why are they over hezting? He couldn't find out!
22mm piping
It's a Potterton Precision boiler: http://www.potterton.co.uk/downloads/Potterton_Precision_User_Guide.pdf

Sponsored Links
What happens if you close off some of the rads via the valves? Ideally start with the new ones.

It is a little better when I turn the upstairs rads off. It last longer before going out. The longer I can keep the boiler going the more reliable it is.

not sure if the new radiators ar causing your problem and I doubt if it a blockage but would have to see your system to be sure , what I can say though is any so called engineer that thinks a system with 9 radiators would need to be increased to 24KW should be shown the door you do not need anything like that for your heating

The boiler output needs turning down not up. IIRC they go down to about 13kW which is much closer to what you need.

Oh and check the pump is round the right way :LOL::LOL:

That's interesting. I will turn it down to 3 which I think will be to around 20kw, this was what it was before.

That's interesting. I will turn it down to 3 which I think will be to around 20kw, this was what it was before.
you are supposed to be Gas safe registered to adjust this, but if you insist on doing it please make sure you isolate the electricity before removing the cover as these run on 325V DC. and just a note if these are set at setting 5 then you have to increase the pipework to 28 mm, I would suggest setting 2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back