New regs for light switch height in a complete refurb.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am refurbing an old property and doing a complete rewire so my question is do I need to follow the new regs of max 1.20 m for the light switches. I'm confused because some say yes and some say only on new builds. I've already completed the wiring and it will be a pain if I have to move the switches down!

JohnW2 replied to one of your other posts

"whilst it is true that all electrical work must comply with part P of the Building Regs, all that Part P (the entirety of Part P) actually says is
Part P of Building Regs said:
“Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.”

Kind Regards, John"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
No, it's fine, it's an old building.

Don't know why your two previous hi-jacked posts were deleted, bearing in mind they contained relevent info.

Hi, I am refurbing an old property and doing a complete rewire so my question is do I need to follow the new regs of max 1.20 m for the light switches?
Whilst, as said, it does not apply to your work, the 'requirements' regarding height of switches are not regulations.

Hi, I am refurbing an old property and doing a complete rewire so my question is do I need to follow the new regs of max 1.20 m for the light switches. I'm confused because some say yes and some say only on new builds. I've already completed the wiring and it will be a pain if I have to move the switches down!
JohnW2 replied ....
Lest their be any confusion, let me explain that my reply reproduced here was a reply to a very differently worded question in the thread from which the mods moved my reply to here!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
This can get complicated, are the council involved in any way?

As it is a rewire the disabled rules do not apply, but the new heights should be no worse than the old heights (who is going to know?), also councils have a general requirement that whenever possible all properties should be made more disabled friendly.

old property and doing a complete rewire so my question is do I need to follow the new regs of max 1.20 m for the light switches
No, just keep the same height is fine. Or half way between. It's your choice.

Be aware that you might find yourself in conflict with Building Control.

It is all very well to insist that the actual regulations say "A" and it's only the guidance in an Approved Document which says "B", but you may have to decide which disagreements are worth going toe-to-toe over.

What have you told them, or by default allowed them to assume, will be the way you'll ensure compliance with Part P?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back